Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Workhouse records on FMP

Hi,

FMP have put up records for admissions to Ecclesall Bierlow Workhouse today, period 1883-1915.
I have found a few relatives in there, but their dates of birth all show them to be exactly one year older than they were.
(The days and months do tally with their birth certificates and baptism records)
Has anyone else found this?

Heths

Re: Workhouse records on FMP

Heths, first of all thanks for the heads up on these new records. Just checked and my grandmother and her 3 children are there with correct dates of birth, including year,.So they are an accurate record of the originals, which I already have.
The dates of birth would be as reported by whoever gave them to the relieving officer so would be subject to their memory. Typically the day and month would be correct, but it is very easy to make a mistake of a year out.
Dave

Hi Dave,

Thanks, that’s true. Typical of my lot to be vague with dates!!

Heths

Hi

These are the EB admission registers which I transcribed. I have them in the order they were entered in the register, so if there were children from two marriages they will show as one family on my copy, but will be in alphabetical order on FMP therefore the families will be split.

Angela

Angela,
Admission is only half the story. Do you know if there are any plans to make the discharge records available?
I am OK because I paid the archives for my relevant records way back but I can imagine the frustration people may have learning only half the story.
Dave

Hi Dave

I only indexed the admissions but there is a lot more information on the corresponding sheet.

Marked 'Register of Inmates, Ecclesall Bierlow Union Workhouse', registers of inmates resident at a particular time and continued; recording date of admission, inmate's name, date of birth, religion, trade, last address, district, name and trade of husband if wife or widow, date of discharge or death, name and address of nearest relative or friend.

Angela