Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Edwin Eccles

Just wondering if any one can get access to the Sheffield telegraph on fmp as apparently my great Grandfather Edwin Eccles is in there in 1927 as apparently he drowned in the river Don and there was an article in the sheffield telegraph about this. Thankyou

Re: Edwin Eccles

I'm afraid its not much of an article.

Sheffield Daily Telegraph - Wednesday 23 February 1927

The body Edwin Eccles, (65), hawker, of 15, Cross Gilpin Street, Sheffield, was recovered yesterday from the river Don at Leadmill Road, Sheffield.

I can send a screen grab if you wish

Actually theres a 2nd article, but again not much of it.

Sheffield Daily Telegraph - Friday 25 February 1927

A verdict of Found drowned was returned at an inquest at Sheffield yesterday on Edwin Eccles (65), a fruit and vegetable hawker, of 15, Cross Gilpin Street, Sheffield, whose dead body was recovered from the River Don near the electric power station on Tuesday morning.

There's a couple more articles in the Independent, but they're hard to find because his name didn't show up properly in the transcription (but his address did).

One about the inquest, dated Friday 25 February 1927 said that his brother William Jennings Eccles of 58 Boyland street fronted up at the inquest and said that Edwin had been partly paralysed since youth, hadn't had regular work for years, and could hardly afford food. Edwin refused to go into the workhouse so wasn't getting any state aid.

A few years earlier (Sheffield Independent Friday 07 September 1923) he'd been in court for "working a mule in an unfit state" (broken saddle caused a sore on the mule's back). He had no money to repair the saddle. The magistrates did not impose any kind of penalty or whatever, they just told him to give the mule a break for a while, which he promised to do.

I could also send more info by email if you want.

Cheers,

Andrew P.

Hi Andrew yes please I would like you to email me and thankyou very much

Edwins father George had a shop 58 Boyland Street.

I have a small bit of history through his sister Beatrice.

Hi Pete are you related to the Eccles family

Keeley
Hi Pete are you related to the Eccles family
Beatrice would have been a grand aunt by marriage.