Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Henry Swain 1871

I have a hint on Ancestry 1871 for Henry Swain, b 1812 Wallenshire Burnt Hill, residence Handsworth Yorkshire, relation Lodger. Family Search don't seem to be giving the same info? Would someone possibly check original... who he's with and is he a widower. Many thanks

Re: Henry Swain 1871

Hes with the Youle family.
No marriage status
Occupation Gardener

OK thanks

Now trying to find Henry's death, it seems he is on the 1881 as widower,pauper & retired farmer in Brightside Bierlow. Cannot seem to locate any possible death on freebmd.

Ps. Was he in the workhouse for the 1881?

Yes it appears he in in the Union Workhouse, birthplace appears to be Bradford, age 69.

Birthplace is actually Bradfield, Burnt Hill, his baptism is on FMP:

Henry Son of William and Alice Swain, abode, Burnt Hill, fathers occ is Farmer.

Baptised 15 Aug 1813, born 17 July 1813.

The only Henry SWAINE (note the e) I can find is for a death in 1886 aged 71 in Basford< nottinghamshire any good?

There is a tree on Ancestry showing he died in 1882 and is buried in Loxley Cemetery.

Thanks Richard

Does the tree say where he died? not found a corresponding death on free bmd. Nothing to do with my tree but just curious

I believe his wife Ann (Fairest) died 1863 after the birth of last child Emily.

Henry died in 1884 Sheffield (GRO) and was buried in Loxley Cong age 78. Wife Ann is in the same grave and died 1863 apparently as a result of the birth of last child ALICE (GRO).
Dave

I have to ask, is 78 on GRO perhaps incorrect? If he was born 1813 it should read 71

Hi Dave. Do you have any plot details for Henry & Ann

CNT 10 Row 17.
Note that GRO births may be confusing. William SWAIN Married Charlotte FAIREST 1836 so some births could be theirs
Dave

Yes thats possible as William was Henry's brother. Will double check.