Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Margaritta Burn & John Burley

Looking for possible marriage for Margaritta Burn & John Burley. There is a baptism record on this site for Elizabeth Burley 1859 St Marie's Sheffield, parents Margaritta Burn & Joannis? "John Burley"?. John later married Jane Fairest (mn Gleadall) 1869.

Re: Margaritta Burn & John Burley

Not found a marriage yet but on the GRO website there is an Elizabeth Burley with MMN Byrne.

There is a burial for a Margaret Burley in 1860 at Heeley Christ Church aged 29 so is that her death

Hi John

Yes it could possibly be her death.

If Elizabeth Burley was born 1859 & her mother Margaret Burley died 1860, John & Elizabeth should be together on the 1861? But I cannot find it....

I have had no luck either regarding 1861. How sure are you that he married in 1869 to Jane Fairest as on the 1871 census I have found a John Burley aged 41 a widow with daughter Elizabeth aged 12. What was John's occupation?

I have also just found the 1871. Both John & Jane are on the 1881 with stepson/son Henry Fairest and freebmd have a marriage.

Yes but if they married in 1869 why was not John and Jane together and why was John described as a widower I wonder if we are looking at two different families and hence getting confused. The family I found on the 1871 census were at Godbys buildings, Peacroft Sheffield.

Good point!!!

I fond the family you are on about on the 1871 census living in the Attercliife *** darnall area ie John and jane. need to check the GRO for Elizabeth Burley to get the maiden names of mother's

Hi John

I have checked GRO for Elizabeth and it does say Byrne for mother.

Yes but in 1859 there is also a birth for an Elizabeth Ann Burley at Wortley father John and mother Harriet. How do we know that Harriet had not died and it was this John Burley that married Jane Fairest

I know what your saying!! and I'm am a bit confused. There are 2 deaths registered for Harriet Burley June 1865 Ecclesall Bierlow & Sheffield? Which would link with the marriage to Jane Fairest 1869