Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Josephine Adelaid Leyden

Looking for information on my great grandmother Josephine Adelaid Leyden. May also be spelled Layden or Leydan.
Birth date I have is April 1874 in Sheffield.
Died Apr 21, 1930 in Massachusetts.
Parents were John B and Mary J Leyden.
She may also have a sister named Edith.

Thanks so much in advance. have hit a brick wall here.

Re: Josephine Adelaid Leyden

Hi Ginny

It'll help us to help you, and avoid duplication of effort, if you can give us a bit more information;

What do you know already (or is whats in your post all you know)?

Where have you hit the brick wall ?

Denise

Hi Denise
Thank you for the kind reply. What I have is all I know. I’m trying to track down birth records for her and am not even 100% sure that John B and Mary Leyden are her parents.

I pume then that she did not marry. If she did marry what was the name of her husband? Have you any idea when she came over to the USA please as that might help.

Gunny, I have looked at a tree on Ancestry for this lady and there is good source info for her marriage, and 3 censuses all in Massachussets. All the censuses say born England and 1910 says Sheffield.
I can find nothing anywhere in England and Wales which comes anywhere near identifying her birth between 1873 and 1878 and nothing for her apparent sister Edith born about 1883.
The only thing I can suggest is that this family changed its name when it arrived in USA.
Dave
Edit, what is your evidence for a birth date of 1874. The censuses are consistent Nd suggest 1876/7

Dave, I am curious on this too because not found anything and as you say the census says Sheffield England. Who filled those details in? The reason I am asking is because I think this person could possibly have been born in Sheffield AUSTRALIA hence the middle name Adelaid...your thoughts.

I guess I should’ve included her husband - my apologies
Ames West Dennis b sept 7 1871 in Woburn Mass
D oct 24, 1940 in Seattle WA
The information I have on her birth date came from family records so it may be incorrect.
Didn’t think about Australia- had always heard that side of the family came from England. Could be possible though.

Also on Ames Dennis’s death cert it shows Edith as wife but on census she’s listed as sister in law.
I do know Josephine passed before Ames.

England could be correct it was just an idea that is all. perhaps it was an earlier generation that could have lived in Australia

Quite possible as I have nothing past her parents - and cannot find information on them either

Ginny, have you searched for a marriage for Edith? Either to Ames or possibly earlier to someone else?
On Ames death cert was she Edith Dennis?
Dave

Dave
Yes I just found a Massachusetts marriage record dated June 22 1897 from Somerville Mass that shows Josephine Leyden (no Edith)- with her parents John B and Mary J Leyden and place of birth as Sheffield England.
Haven’t found anything for Edith other than on the death certificate

Ginny, Have you looked in USA for deaths for Josephine's parents?
Dave

Dave
Yes - I searched names and there are a few John and Mary Leyden. I don’t know Marys maiden name or even approximate death dates.
I think next will check town records for Massachusetts but need to figure out appx dates
Thanks for your help
Ginny

Hi Ginny

Found the marriage between Ames and Edith;

28 March 1935 - Kings, Saratoga

Ames West Dennis B 1872 - father Ward L Dennis, mother Caroline M Parker

Martina Edythe Leyden, B 1887, Father John, Mother Mary Wade

Doesnt help much but at least you have Josephine and Ediths mothers Maiden name. Havent yet found a marriage for Leyden/Wade.

Denise

Denise, Where did you find this please and also did it say that Edith was a spinster, just curious as to think that aged 48 getting married for the first time seems odd for those days.

John

Its on FMP. The record doesnt give a status. But Edith was living with Ames and Josephine on some of the census records, including 1930, so seems she was a Spinster.

Denise

Thank you

Denise thank you!!!
I am wondering if Edith was Josephine sister. The dates are about right. Huge coincidence with names. I was able to locate 1940 census that shows Edith’s place of birth as Illinois, with age 55- Which I don’t think fits with the timeline of when the family came over from England, as this would put Edith being born 1885. I could be wrong however.
If he did marry his sister-in-law that could explain why no one ever talked about them as per my dad.
The 1910 census shows Edith M. coming over in 1883 And Josephine coming over in 1880.

Ginny
The complete lack of any references in UK to this family, and the apparent inconsistencies in the US censuses on immigration years, cause me to think outside the box.
There is no doubt that in the late 19th century, under the Poor Law, hundreds of young children were deported to Canada and many were adopted there. I wonder if Josephine and Edith were amongst these and were adopted by a Canadian couple and given new names. In this case they could be adopted sisters, but not actual sisters.
The confusion in immigration dates could be that there were 2 immigrations for each, first to Canada then later to USA. I am reasonably confident that Josephine believed she was born in Sheffield,but there is definitely no birth record for her anywhere in UK under that name.
Note that apparently Edith was born in England AND she was born in around 1883 AND she entered USA in 1883. Those 3 cannot all be correct.
I wonder if Wendy in Guelph has any thoughts on it ?
Dave

Dave,
Great info! I’m new to geneology and learning tips along the way.
There was a John and Mary from Canada who I originally thought may be Josephines parents, but I couldn’t find anything to link them directly and they weren’t on census records together.
Thanks for your assistance and thoughts I greatly appreciate them.
-Ginny

Hi Ginny et al,
My findings so far:
Possible birth for Josephine on GRO phonetic search records
JOSEPHINE ALINE LEEDHAM B.Reg:1874 Mar/qtr.Burton-on-Trent
mmn: DALTON. I realise this is not Wade but maybe(if this is the correct birth) Mary was married before...??

Off to the USA (have not checked out Dave's Canada theory yet)
Already have the marriage of AMES WEST DENNIS To JOSEPHINE LEYDEN(no Adelaide mentioned)in 1897 parents John B & Mary J.(Leyden)

1910 US.Census: EDITH M. LEYDEN is recorded as a sister in law(born England) to Ames W. Dennis

1920 US Census: There is an EDITH M. LEYDEN boarding with the WAITE family in King's, New York but birthplace is recorded as Massachusetts..??
We already have established JOSEPHINE died in 1930
There is a marriage for:
AMES WEST DENNIS
M:28th March, 1935 King's, Saratoga. NY. to:
MARTINA EDYTHE LEYDEN...???

AMES WEST DENNIS dies in King County Hospital on 24th Oct/1940, age 69yrs. age of surviving wife EDITH LEYDEN DENNIS 55yrs.
There is a possible death record for an M. EDYTH DENNIS 30th(29th/28th) Jan/1970 in Seattle, Washington.
Most of the above can be referenced at Family Search website.
HAPPY HUNTING:sleuth_or_spy:

Hi Wendy. Cross Josephine A Leedham off the list
Her death reg Burton 1929 age 55., so born 1874.
Dave

Dave, how do you know that the death you found has not got the surname by marriage? ie is not the same person as the one found in 1874

Hi

Josephine Aline Leedham B 1874, Burton. Died Burton 1929. Probate shows she was as Spinster.

Denise

I found the same one, you can also follow her on the census.

Oddly i've been looking into this person this morning and try as I may I cannot locate them on the 1900 US census, i've located a possible for their son Roy born 1899 in a hotel in Rhode Island without the parents, i've cross checked directories and the surrounding addresses for Ames Dennis and he isn't where the directories show.

Also unable to locate his father on the 1900 either.

Can't really use the 1890 federal census as mostly destroyed.

A real quandary this one.

I also cannot locate Edith on the 1920 census definitively.

Thank you all so much for your help.
They did have 2 kids-
Roy Ward Dennis b jan 10 1899; d dec 22 1969 in Boston
Ruth Edith Dennis (Zincke) b jan 3 1908 in Mass, d aug 14 1994 in pinellas FL