Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Beatrice Redfern

Beatrice Redfern born 1889 daughter of Arthur Redfern and Emily Wilkins. She married in 1909 to Robert Marshall. What happened after that please as I thought Robert died in 1918 and she had remarried in 1919 but if she did she added a name.

Can any of you kind souls try to work out what happed to her please?

Thanks John

Re: Beatrice Redfern

Hi

I've found the following on FMP. Not sure if it's the correct Beatrice but the year matches.

First name(s) Beatrice N
Last name Redfern
Marriage quarter 3
Marriage year 1919
Beatrice N Redfern married Thomas Boyson
District Rotherham

Carol

Hi John,

If you look at the burials on this site there is a baby called Beatrice Kirby who died in 1921 in the same plot as this family.
GRO birth record for her says MMN was Redfern.
Father was Horace Kirby according to the burial.
I couldn’t see a marriage for Horace Kirby to a Redfern, but if you look in the baptisms here there are some with parents Horace and Beatrice.
Maybe you can spot a marriage.

Heths

Thanks Heather but this is my stumbling block because it was a the Beatrice that married Horace Kirby had the middle name beginning with a letter "A" so is this the same person?

In 1889 there is a Beatrice A Redfern born hence the reason for the confusion.

I believe your lady is Beatrice Alice Redfern, married Rob. Marshall, then got together with Horace Kirby (married St Anne's Netherthorpe in 1919 FMP widow father Arthur Redfern) and he died in 1933 then re-married Frank Longley in 1938 and is living with him on the 1939 register at 99 Dryden Road in Sheffield.

Her burial on here is:

LONGLEY, Beatrice Alice (Housewife, age 71).
Died at 27 Kyle Crescent; Buried on July 28, 1959 in Consecrated ground;
Grave Number 4585, Section JJ of Burngreave Cemetery, Sheffield.
Parent or Next of Kin if Available: . Remarks: Removed from Sheffield Parish.

Richard Thank you for your reply at first I thought this but on the GRO index she was not registered with the name Alice hence why I am dubious.

When she married Robert Marshall she was just plain Beatrice and I know this marriage is the correct one by the name of the father AND witnesses as Fred Hudson and Ethel Redfern later married.Ethel was a sister of Beatrice. Wonder therefore why the ALICE was added?

It was the 1919 marriage that nailed it in my eyes, she is named as Beatrice Alice Marshall and father as Arthur Redfern.

If you have her exact date of birth you could cross check it with the 1939 register to be sure.

Hi John,
Have you checked out the two marriages on BMD website
BEATRICE MARSHALL married PETER H.MILLER 1919 Jun qtr. Ecclesall Bierlow

BEATRICE MARSHALL married ARTHUR AUDIS (or ANDIS)
married 1919 Dec. qtr 1919

The latter POSSIBLY had at least two children

ARTHUR AUDIS B: 1920 Jun qtr. Ecc.Bierlow.
GRO & BMD-mmn MARSHALL

ERIC AUDIS B: 1924 Jun qtr. Sheffield.
GRO no MMN. BMD: mmn MARSHALL

HAPPY HUNTING:sleuth_or_spy:

Thanks Wendy, I can eliminate the one to Peter H Miller because it says she was a spinster. The one to Arthur Audisthe certificate is not on FMP.

I think it must be the Beatrice Alice Marshall to Horace Kirkby but why add the Alice. I need to try and see if I can find a baptism record to see if the name was added after registration.

John

Hi John et al,
Just to throw another spanner into the mix there are also two BEATRICE A. MARSHALL marriages on BMD,
BEATRICE.A. MARSHALL married 1919 Jun qtr Sheffield to GEORGE F. THURLEY(or THURLBY)

BEATRICE.A.MARSHALL married 1919 Dec. qtr. Sheffield to HORACE KIRKBY (note the spelling):sleuth_or_spy:

Richard's find of Horace Kirby could be the same as above..??
The marriage of BEATRICE A. KIRBY to FRANK LONGLEY appears as such on BMD also.

HAPPY HUNTING:sleuth_or_spy: