Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
12 Springvale Road

I have a relative who died, age 45, at 12 Springvale Road, Sheffield in 1899. She does not appear to have any connection to this address (it was in a much better area than where she lived) and I wondered if it was the address of some sort of institution - (for women?).

Re: 12 Springvale Road

Any help? above address not occupied on 1901 census.
On 1911 census occupied by a family of 3 and described as a 3 roomed house.

Barry C.

Hi Margaret,

I couldn’t find anything for 1899 but a newspaper from 1898 mentions that a cocoa manufacturer had an agent at that address.
I found the agent in the 1901 census. He was at a different address by then but he was shopkeeper selling groceries.

Heths

Would you be able to tell me the name of the agent who was at this address in 1898, so I can see if it has any connection that I know about? If it was listed in 1911 as a house with 3 rooms it does not seem to be that big a house. I assumed that as the houses around looked 'posher' no 12 was, but I notice that none of the lower nos don't exist now and have been replaced by flats. Perhaps they were the same old 'back to backs' in 1899???!!

Hi Margaret,

The agent was called George Bertram Lowndes and he was born in Truro, Cornwall around 1866.
His wife Mary was from Sheffield and in the census he had a sister in law called Emily Ellis living with him.
There is a marriage for him in 1893 to a Mary Elizabeth Ellis.

Heths

Hi Heather
No, I'm afraid none of those names link up to anyone familiar. I got the address she died from the grave details, so perhaps she didn't have any real link to this address. I just wondered if it was a pointer to an interesting connection. Not so, as far as I can see.

Thanks for your help with this - it has helped clarify things.

Hi,

On a large scale OS map of 1952 no12 is a back to back property with three court dwellings(in court no4) to the rear of it and nos 10&8.

Barry C.

Hi Barry.
That is interesting. I originally thought that the property was something smarter, since it was in the Crookes area. That makes more sense if it is a back to back, like the other places they lived. I guess they could have lived just there at that time - it is not far from Grammar st. where they were in the 1891 census. I can't find her husband in 1901, but by 1911 he was in the workhouse.

Thanks for your help.