Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Swain/Birley Family

I am trying to find more information on my Paternal Great Grandmother Annie Birley born 1849 Sheffield married to Joseph Swain and moved to Monkwearmouth where my Grandfather John Thomas Swain was born she re married after the death of Joseph a William Blakelock but can find no information after his death - I presume she came back to Sheffield as I inherited a couple of items of hers via my Aunt but can find no census after 1881 or death

any help would be appreciated

Re: Swain/Birley Family

Hello. Joseph Joe Swain was my great granduncle. I also cannot find Annie after the 1881. I have Joseph's birth & marriage certs if that helps you. Do you have any photo evidence of any of the family. Regards David

Hi David

I believe we have been in touch before when I found the Ibbotson connection in my family tree. I also have Joseph's birth and marriage certs thankyou. I also have the marriage cert for Annie & William Blakelock I believe they had a daughter Margaret Ann who died at 1 year old(1877). I think I sent you some certs for John Thomas Swain when we where in contact before (my Grandfather) I don't seem to be able to find any info on Annie's parents Thomas & Ann BM or D although I did find that my grandfather was living with Annie's brother also Thomas back in 1891 - when annie married William Blakelock in 1875 it states that her father is deceased. I think I have found Annie in 1919 at Fox St Sheffield when she would have been about 70 which fits but not 100% certain

unfortunately I don't have any photographs of any of them and havn't found Annie or joseph in 1871

happy to share info
Joan

Hi Joan

Nice to hear from you. Have you done any research regarding Joseph's brother John Fairest Swain b 1836. It seems he married a Clara Lucinda Barnes in Wicker Sheffield 1855. But then Clara Lucinda Swain is shown on the 1861/71 as a house keeper to a Thomas Hallows and then as Clara Hallows on the 1881. Clara then seems to be in Massachusetts marrying a John Bentley under then name Hallows. Just wondering what happened between John & Clara becouse John has a wife called Elizabeth on the 1871.