Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Parents of Ethel Redfern and when did they die?

Ethel Redfern was born in 1891 and her parents were Arthur b.1866 and Emily Wilkins b.1867.

They married on 25 Dec 1887.

What I am trying to find though is when they died and where they are buried.

Arthur possibly died in 1931 but I have been unable to verify if this is my man or not

The only other possibility is that they moved abriad but as yet I have not found anything to back this up.

Any help as always is really appreciated.

Thanks

John

Re: Parents of Ethel Redfern and when did they die?

Hi John,
There is a death on this website (over to the left) for Arthur Redfern in 1931 giving burial details.

As for Emily, the only death I could find was on BMD & GRO website for an Emily Elizabeth in 1941 at Sheffield age 67 which would put her birth around 1874..??
However, on the 1911 census Emily is recorded as age 38 which suggest an est. birth of 1873.

Ethel Redfern married Fred Hudson in 1909
Possible 2nd marriage for Ethel:
Ethel Hudson RM: 1947 to Jack Roper
Ref: BMD/Family Search websites

There is a death for Ethel Roper on this website in 1951
also in the same grave are
Fred Hudson D:1943
Ronald Hudson D:1979 (FYI: GRO shows mmn as Redfern)

on the 1911 census Ethel Hudson is recorded as married and has a son Frederick age 0, no sign of hubby Fred Snr. Ethel & son are living with the Marshall and the Redfern family members in North Sheffield
Ref: Family Search
HAPPY HUNTING:sleuth_or_spy:

Thank you Wendy, You are correct about Ethel marrying etc and when she died its arthur and Emily Im struggling with. If that is the correct Arthur whod died in 1931 Im sure that with Emily being mid 60s at the time would not have remarried.

I have got a list of children for Arthur and Emily:

Beatrice being the first b 1889 and Gladys being the last 1908 but there is a 6 year gap between 1894 (Nellie) and 1900 (Athur) so could there be anothe marriage for Arthur somewhere and what if by coincidence he married an Emily Elizabeth Wilkins lets say this Emily Elizabeth married say a brother of Arthur that made her a Wilkins her hubby died and she then married Arthur after Emily number 1 died.

Back to the drawing board I think what do you think?

Hi John,
The six year gap you mentioned, there was a birth after Nellie in 1894 and that was MINNIE IN 1897 who also is recorded on the 1911 census record.

The death I mentioned previously of Emily Elizabeth Redfern in 1941 age 67 (1874) may still be a possibility.
Arthur and Emily also had a daughter in 1901 named Emily Elizabeth but she died in the same year, so we can eliminate the 1901 Emily E.

As for the Arthur Redfearn (note the a)death in 1931 on this website, apart from the mispelled surname, the age fits, the occupation fits. On the records I have checked so far, Arthur has been described as a grinder or a razor grinder.

HAPPY HUNTING:sleuth_or_spy:

John and Wendy
Have you noticed that in the same grave with Arthu who died in 1931 is a Nellie Morris born about 1895. Nellie Redfern married James Morris in 1918 in Sheffield.
Dave
Edit. And James Morris died in 1929 at the same address as Nellie Morris. He is in a different grave in Burngreave with lots of others called Morris.

Thank you again for your replies, I wonder therfore if the pwho filled in the burial register for Emily put 67 instead of 76 then.

From the GRO index there is a birth in 1867 for Emily Wilkin (note no s )so I think it is this Emily that married Arthur Redfern

John,
To confirm that, Emily Wilkin 1867 had mmn Daff which matches to a marriage of Henry Wilkin to Sarah Daff (FMP). The Emily Wilkins who married Arthur Redfern had Father name Henry.
Dave

I have found the Emily E Redfern on the 1939 register living at 16 Kyle close giving a DOB as 1874. I am still cautious about this being the correct one though.

If I put Emily Redfern born 1867 it is not coming up with anything which makes me wonder did she die before Arthur.

I think the only way am going to solve this is to gamble on getting the death info from the GRO

John
Arthur and Emily are together on the 1891, 1901 and 1911 censuses
Emily's age each time was
1891 24 (b1867)
1901 29 (b1872)
1911 38 (b1873)

It is clear she started knocking 5 or 6 years off her age very early on. Why would she change that deception for 1939? That is good reason to believe that whoever reported her death would get it just as wrong.
Dave

Thanks Dave and perhaps whoever registered her death assumed she also had the middle name Elizabeth. I wonder if she was baptised in 1874 and thats where she then took her DOB from.

John, When she was 20 and when she was 24 she gave her correct age. Sometime before she was age 34 she decided to bend the truth and say she was considerably younger. Her husband knew her true age, but clearly went along with the obviously deliberate deception. It must have been a personal (vanity?)thing. Not uncommon.
Dave