Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Oughtibridge research

Just a heads up for anyone researching Oughtibridge especially the baptisms.

I was looking at our transcribed material last night.

It seems pages are missing especially around 1835 when I compared our transcription to FMP.

The pages all seem to have been dismantled from an actual registers so one would expect that maybe they were missed when the filming took place.

I was looking for Dyson's of Oughtibridge.

Elaine in Ottawa.

Instant Messenger: Skype

Re: Oughtibridge research

Elaine

Oughtibridge church was not build until the mid 1840s so there would not have been any pages missing

The nearest places for baptisms in the 1830s would have been Bradfield, Wadsley or Ecclesfield

Brightholmlee Methodist chapel was open by then but I don't know when they started with baptisms

Loxley Congregational was also doing baptisms at this time

Regards - Malcolm

Elaine and Malcolm
Just to add to that
FMP seems to have baptisms in Oughtibridge from 3 sources.
Over 7000 records for Church of Ascension covering 1843 to late 20th century;
207 records for Oughtibridge Wesleyan Reform Chapel covering 1830s to well into 20th century,
Around 4000 transcription records for an unidentified Oughtibridgew source going back into the 1830s.
I have not checked for possible duplications
Dave

Sorry, edit function not working
Further to my earlier message there are many duplications on FMP of the Ascension records, and the Wesleyan Chapel are in 2 separate lots So the tally is about 7300 Ascension and 500 Wesleyan Methodist Chapel. There seem to be about 3000 duplicates which are unassigned transcriptions.
Dave

Thanks DaveT & Malcolm for your input.

The CD I have is from the LDS and it showed Oughtibridge 1843-1850 only. BUT when I checked with FMP there was certainly more entries as Dave has noted. The CD by the way is what we transcribed. Thats the reason why I wanted folks to be aware that there were more entries on FMP.

The CD covered Midhope, Stannington, Oughtibridge and Wadsley.

The CD is all over the place and hard to navigate.

When I have time I will certainly check the CD out more.

Elaine in snowy Ottawa.

Re: Oughtibridge history and filmings.

The following were all Chapelries of Ecclesfield. from the CD.

Midhope 1813 to 1855
Stannington 1830 to 1876
Oughtibridge 1843 to 1850
Wadsley (1848)

Church of Accension Church St, Oughtibridge Built 1842/43 as a "Chapel of Ease of Wadsley Parish Church". District chapelry in 1868 and an independent parish 1939. The Church was not dedicated until 1974.

Original Records held at Sheffield Archives.

Baptisms 1843-1996
Marriages 1868 -1986
Burials 1843-1961
Banns 1916-1989

When we Sheffield Indexers obtained permission from the vicar and LDS to use their copies they were the Bishops Transcripts. For many years the Bishops of Sheffield had denied the LDS permission to copy the registers. Approval I believe started about the mid 1990's. FindmyPast which came on the scene in the mid 2000's used the later filmings from the Archives and S&DFHS transcriptions for much of the information that you find on their site. Sheffield did not fair to well in the early days of FMP as its only been more recently that filming's have showed up.

This site S.I. 2001-2005 used what we were able to use BT's in some cases but have for a number of years used our own photographer (Terry Ford) thanks Terry, to photograph the original records.

So onward and upward.

Elaine in Ottawa.