Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Alfred Knutt/Nutt

I'm trying to find the whereabouts of Alfred Knutt (Nutt) b 1822 Sheffield in 1861. He married Lucy Harrison in 1854 in Manchester (Lucy was from Heaton Norris in Lancs).

In 1861 Lucy (aged 35) is with her father John Harrison in Heaton Norris with her 2 children Alfred 2 and William 8 mths who were both born in Sheffield.

In 1871 the family are back together at 25 Park Hill Lane Sheffield with 5 more children.

Hope someone can help

Many thanks

Jenny

Re: Alfred Knutt/Nutt

On 22nd February 1861 Robert Garside was killed being crushed as he was loading timber onto his cart at Victoria Station in Sheffield. Mr Garside was the landlord of a beer house at 94 Cricket Road, called the Royal George Inn. At the 1861 census on 7th April, the Royal George was occupied by a 55 year old brick maker called Charles Hay Ehurst (the writing is poor and his name has been incorrecly transcribed by FindMyPast).

In July 1861 the landlord of the Royal George was Alfred Knut, who was applying for a spirit licence for the beer house. Alfred was still the keeper of the Royal George in February 1871 when he was accused of embezzling funds from the Royal Free Gift Society which he ran there - the case was dismissed.

So a theory is that in 1861 he was involved in refurbishing his newly acquired beer house, and was missed off the census.

Re: Alfred Knutt/Nutt

Well Ted you've come to my rescue once again. Sounds a plausible explanation so I'll look into it further.

Thanks for all your help

Jenny