Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
WW2 records

COPELAND, Wilfred (of 38 Gilpin St, born 1911-08-13).
Baptised August 30, 1911, by J W Merryweather at St Philips Church, Shalesmoor.
Parents name(s) are Sarah & George (Furnace Man).

Trying to find WW2 records for this chap who was a POW in Poland. Very little on Ancestry - Name: W. Copeland
Military Date: 1939-1945
Regiment: R.e.
Service Number: 2042987
Description: 11: Imperial Prisoners of War Held in Germany or German-Occupied Territory: British Army
Any help much appreciated.
Lyn

Re: WW2 records

Hi Lyn, if you go onto www. forces-war-records.co.uk and enter his details you will find his record there. You will be asked to register for free in order to get his full details.
Go luck Barry Green

Is it a pay to view as I am all subbed out at the moment?

Hi Lyn, THere is an entry for him on the Ancestry WW2 POW records but the only additional information to what yop apply for hiu have is his POW number which was 15080. He was in Stalag No 344 Lambinowice, Poland.
For £30 you can apply for his service records to
https://www.gov.uk/get-copy-military-service-records.
However because of Covid the wait time is about 11 months !
Hope that helps, John

Thanks John we do have that but we are hoping for some records that give more about his time as a POW. I have said that unless there are some war diaries it is unlikely we can find more. My friend is willing to pay but is cautious about paying in case she is paying for what she already has. At the moment we are still shielding and will remain shielding. My husband and myself had our first vaccination yesterday:relieved: but we still need to shield long term.
I think it wil have to go on the back burner for now.
Lyn

Lyn
Thanks John we do have that but we are hoping for some records that give more about his time as a POW. I have said that unless there are some war diaries it is unlikely we can find more. My friend is willing to pay but is cautious about paying in case she is paying for what she already has. At the moment we are still shielding and will remain shielding. My husband and myself had our first vaccination yesterday:relieved: but we still need to shield long term.
I think it wil have to go on the back burner for now.
Lyn
Hi Lyn. No worry about what she will get when sending for records. It will be a complete record of his service from enrolment to discharge inc postings etc so please encourage her to get them. If there is anything else about his POW time it will be in those.
My wife & I sent for our fathers & they are priceless !! Really well worth £30 .
Glad you had vaccine . My wife is shielding but neither of us have had vaccine yet.
Best wishes, John