Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Dead end with 3rd generation grandmother

Hello,
I think I posted on this subject before, so apologies. I am stuck on one relative and cannot move forward (backwards)..(I have her from 1861 through to her death - just her first 20 years is what I am struggling with)

Eliza/elizabeth Guest born approx 1939 - 1861 through to 1871 census states born in London. 1881 states Middlesex, London born. 1891 and 1901 state born in Sheffield.
I have been unable to determine her birth parents due to unsure where exactly she was born.
I followed a few lines to begin with, Elizabeth Gibson Guest...however all the ancestors I added from this person showed no DNA matches whatsoever....
Can anyone help? What direction do I take now?

Thanks

Re: Dead end with 3rd generation grandmother

I did find this on a 1851 census sample....
But why can't I find the actual census so I can follow up?

Name: Elzth Guest
Address: Savoy Hill N
Enumeration District: Savoy St John
County: Middlesex
Birth Place: Middlesex, England, City Rd
Relationship: Niece

Sarah
The 1851 census record you are looking for can be found on FMP. She is the Neice (sic) of THOMAS HUMBLE and his wife Ann.
The search terms Thomas Humble b 1810 with Savoy as optional keyword will find the record
I do not know where the transcriber got the birth year from. The original record has age UK (unknown) (about25). It is a strange page .
Good luck
Dave

The same record can be found on Ancestry. There he is transcribed as Thos, unk age and Elzth is wrongly transcribed as 11 months
Dave

Dave T
The same record can be found on Ancestry. There he is transcribed as Thos, unk age and Elzth is wrongly transcribed as 11 months
Dave
Thanks Dave, I hope this is a good lead !! :-)

Sarah Ann
I have gone back over all the many threads about your Elizabeth Guest. This takes on a new light when you study the Thomas Humble family. If anyone want to see the relevant history just read the 4 responses in this thread.
The 1851 census record for 11 yr old Elizabeth Guest in Savoy Hill Westminster is at first a strange one. But the original census record is actually full of unusual details
1. Elizabeth is said to be Niece of the Humbles, Thomas and Ann. There is also a 16 MONTH OLD Ann Humble, their daughter.
2. The ages of Thomas and Ann senior ar marked as unknown, and the enumerator puts in a guess of 25
3. THOMAS Humble is said to be born very specifically at St Dunstans, West
4. ANN (sr) was born St Andrew, Holborn
5. ELIZABETH Guest was born City Road

It is clear that neither Thomas Humble nor his wife gave this info to the enumerator. It must have been given by Elizabeth Guest.

I HAVE LOOKED AT THE HISTORY OF Thomas and Ann Humble (nee Norton) and it is an interesting story
They married In 1839 but their first registered child was Jessie Nortn in 1848, and she died shortly after birth. That is 8 YEARS WITHOUT A LIVE BIRTH, then an infant death.
Their next child was Ann Harriet in Q1 1850 who we see in the 1851 census
Their final child is Eleanor Mary in Q2 1851, so Ann senior was pregnant at the 1851 census.
All this checks out on GRO Index

So what about Elizabeth Guest?
The humbles must have been desperate for a child in those 8 YEARS, AND PERHAPS Elizabeth filled that needand was effectively brought up by THOMAS and Ann.
Her description of City Road as as her birthplace seems strange until you realise that City Road was where the St Luke Workhouse was situated. That is reminiscent of using 2Herries Road in Sheffield instead of Workhouse.

So it looks as if your Elizabeth was born illegit and went to her so- far childless Aunt and was brought up by her and her husband THOMAS, whose name she used in inventing a father name
There is a tree on Ancestry with the Humbles Details in it. I believe Denise will fill you in on the details, which all fit very nicely
There is a birth registration in q4 1838 in St James, Westminster of an unnamed , illegitimate female Norton child. I BELIEVE THAT WILL TURN OUT TO BE Elizabeth Guest
All will become clearer with Denise's info from the Ancestry Tree, which belongs to a Goodison family.
Now you can find the right people to check DNA.
Dave

Dave T
Sarah Ann
I have gone back over all the many threads about your Elizabeth Guest. This takes on a new light when you study the Thomas Humble family. If anyone want to see the relevant history just read the 4 responses in this thread.
The 1851 census record for 11 yr old Elizabeth Guest in Savoy Hill Westminster is at first a strange one. But the original census record is actually full of unusual details
1. Elizabeth is said to be Niece of the Humbles, Thomas and Ann. There is also a 16 MONTH OLD Ann Humble, their daughter.
2. The ages of Thomas and Ann senior ar marked as unknown, and the enumerator puts in a guess of 25
3. THOMAS Humble is said to be born very specifically at St Dunstans, West
4. ANN (sr) was born St Andrew, Holborn
5. ELIZABETH Guest was born City Road

It is clear that neither Thomas Humble nor his wife gave this info to the enumerator. It must have been given by Elizabeth Guest.

I HAVE LOOKED AT THE HISTORY OF Thomas and Ann Humble (nee Norton) and it is an interesting story
They married In 1839 but their first registered child was Jessie Nortn in 1848, and she died shortly after birth. That is 8 YEARS WITHOUT A LIVE BIRTH, then an infant death.
Their next child was Ann Harriet in Q1 1850 who we see in the 1851 census
Their final child is Eleanor Mary in Q2 1851, so Ann senior was pregnant at the 1851 census.
All this checks out on GRO Index

So what about Elizabeth Guest?
The humbles must have been desperate for a child in those 8 YEARS, AND PERHAPS Elizabeth filled that needand was effectively brought up by THOMAS and Ann.
Her description of City Road as as her birthplace seems strange until you realise that City Road was where the St Luke Workhouse was situated. That is reminiscent of using 2Herries Road in Sheffield instead of Workhouse.

So it looks as if your Elizabeth was born illegit and went to her so- far childless Aunt and was brought up by her and her husband THOMAS, whose name she used in inventing a father name
There is a tree on Ancestry with the Humbles Details in it. I believe Denise will fill you in on the details, which all fit very nicely
There is a birth registration in q4 1838 in St James, Westminster of an unnamed , illegitimate female Norton child. I BELIEVE THAT WILL TURN OUT TO BE Elizabeth Guest
All will become clearer with Denise's info from the Ancestry Tree, which belongs to a Goodison family.
Now you can find the right people to check DNA.
Dave
Oh Gosh Dave, You really think this is the one?

Thank you so much for your input into this. I will research this and see if any DNA matches come up.

Regards

Sarah

Ann Norton had a sister named Elizabeth - and guess what? She married a Joseph Guest!!!

Sarah Ann
Take a look at Elizabeth Norton age 25 in 1841 census on Lizard street, St Luke, which is very close to City Road.
Dave

Dave T
Sarah Ann
Take a look at Elizabeth Norton age 25 in 1841 census on Lizard street, St Luke, which is very close to City Road.
Dave
Thanks Dave