Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Birth info

I am looking for a birth and it says that the mother maiden name is the same as the child. Is it because the parents weren't married or child born before they were married. Can anyone help please.
Thanks
Brenda

Re: Birth info

Brenda, if you are referring to a record on Free bmd then there are 2 possible explanations. Either the child was illegitimate or the mother had married a man whose name was the same as her maiden name.
If you look up the same record on GRO index you will discover which one it is. If the mother maiden name is blank then the child was illegitimate, ie no father named.
DAVE

Thanks Dave now I know why the name appears twice, It just seems strange when the surnames are the same. Would they bother getting married if the names are the same and could that be why we can't find a marriage for some of these.
Cheers
Brenda

Hi Brenda,

As Dave stated its usually that the child is illigitimate. If the child was born out of wedlock legally they would take on the mothers maiden name.

The stigma of not being married was great in those days. No marriage and the female would not have been entitaled to anything if the relationship broke up.

We have come a long way baby.........LOL.

Elaine.

Instant Messenger: Skype

Brenda,
May I suggest you tell us exactly which marriages and births you have problems with.
Have you checked the gro index?
Dave