Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Luke SPRIGGS

Luke spriggs
Hi there im trying to find some info on my relative luke spriggs born abt 1828 he married mary readhead in 1852 in sheffield i am trying to trace his parents or siblings or any info on luke the 1841 and 1851 census i can find for him are contradictive ( 1841 has a ruth age 45 and 1851 has a alice age 40?) Im not sure if ruth or alice is lukes mother etc...
Im unable to find a marriage for his father who i presune is william spriggs.
Any help would be much appreciated
Thanks
L

Re: Luke SPRIGGS

Hi Laura, The only Luke Spriggs i could find was born 6 September 1830 Whittlesey, Cambridgeshire to William Spriggs and Ruth. There is a marriage for Ruth Muggleton to William Spriggs 30 September 1827 Lyddington, Rutland, brides residence Bringhurst. Regards Barry

Hi Laura,

On the 1891 census, Luke and Mary are living at 19 Flora Street, Shefield.
Luke gives his place of birth as Whittlesea, Cambridgeshire.

On his marriage to Mary, his father's name is William, a Groom.

1851 census, Falcon St, Whittlesey, Cambs.
William Spriggs, 52, Groom, born Peterborough.
Alice Spriggs, wife, 40, born Whittlesey, Cambs.
LUKE Spriggs, son, 21, Bricklayer labourer, born Peterborough.
John Spriggs, son, 17, Servant, born Whittlesey.

1841 census, Briggate, Whittlesey, Cambs.
William Spriggs, 40, Groom.
Ruth Spriggs, 45.
George Spriggs, 18, Groom.
William Spriggs, 14.
LUKE Spriggs, 9.
John Spriggs, 5.

I have not found a burial for Ruth.

Moira.

Ruth Spriggs died q41843 Whittlesey age 54 according to gro.
Dave
It looks like William Spriggs remarried q3 1846 to Alice Fountain in Whittlesey.

Hi Laura et al,
There is a Tree on Family Search that has a William Spriggs marrying on 20th Oct/1817 at Exton, Rutland to Ruth Newbold with a possible first child John being baptized in Sept/1818 who died in 1821. This Tree does not show his 2nd wife Alice.

William Spriggs second wife, Alice Fountain (widow) (nee Mussen/Musson/or Mufsen. Alice Mussen first married 10th May/1831 at St.Mary's, Whittlesea, Cambridgeshire to William Fountain who died in 1838.
On the 1851 census we see that Alice brought into her second marriage to Wm.Spriggs, a son, Wm. Fountain age 14 from her 1st marriage. The GRO for Wm.Fountain is birth 1839 Mar.qtr. Whittlesey, mmn.MUSSON.

There is also another possible child of Wm & Ruth to add to the ones listed on the 1841 census: that of Henry Thomas Spriggs baptized 12th March 1828, Peterboro.
HAPPY HUNTING :sleuth_or_spy:
HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE

Luke Spriggs was buried at St Philips on 1st September 1891 (residence Flora street). His inquest stated that he was a bricklayer and slater employed by John Crowley and Company at Meadowhall (Ironworks). On Thursday 27th August he went with Henry Woodcock to Mr John Fairburn Crowley's house in Ashdell Road, Broomhill, to repair the roof. Mr Crowley had married Frances Webster the previous April. The two workers borrowed two ladders which Spriggs checked and then lashed together. Woodcock was working on the roof when he heard Spriggs coming up the ladder and then a loud noise. He found the bottom ladder broken in two, and Spriggs lying on the ground.The ladder had been placed with its foot too far away from the wall and the excessive movement in it had broken it. A doctor was fetched, and pronounced Spriggs dead at the scene. The inquest gave a verdict of accidental death.

Hi barry thanks for the birth info i saw ruth on the census 1841 but got a little confused with the second wife alice
Someone else mentioned another ruth with a different surname which made me all the more curious and confused 😂 i will look into ruth further later today thanks again

Hi moira thanks for the info on luke i was not sure his mum was RUTH which i have now been able to comfirm however im still uncertain of ruths mmn? Theres more than one marriage for a william spriggs and ruth around that time
I too am unable to find a burial for ruth at the minute and im going to look into lukes siblings a little further to see if i can discover any more info on that branch of the family
Thanks
Laura

Hi dave thanks for comfirming ruths gro record i am still unable to find a burial for her
Although luke seems to be buried at st. Phillips ( not sure if he is still there or been moved?)
I see alice fountain and her son living with william on the census
Im trying to find out
1. Where william spriggs &
Ruth ?mmn? Is buried and her mmn also any info on alice or lukes siblings john and william
Ive got my tree on ancestry.co.uk at present just stuck with a few bits and pieces on the spriggs side
😂
Thanks again
Laura

Hi wendy i saw tbe record for ruth newbold and william spriggs i also found a record for a ruth muggleton ( this confused me 😆) i am uncertain which ruth is lukes mother?
Thanks for the info on alice and her former husband.
As for thomas henry spriggs who was baptised 1828 peterbro i would presume he died before 1841 as he does not appear on the census? May i ask if his mother was named on the baptism record?
Kind regards
Laura

Hi ted, thanks for the info on lukes death etc... is luke still buried at st.philips? I understand some people where moved and rehomed is there anyway to find out if hes still there or been moved at all? Also may i ask where u found the inquest information? Very interesting to know lukes employer etc and the circumstances of his death.
Thanks
Laura

Laura, Ruth must be buried at Whittlesey.
The 1841 census indicates that William and Ruth had a son George age 18, that is born 1823. Therefore it is most probable that Ruth was Newbold married in 1817. The William Spriggs Ruth Muggleton marriage was 1827.
Dave

Laura Bennett
Hi ted, thanks for the info on lukes death etc... is luke still buried at st.philips? I understand some people where moved and rehomed is there anyway to find out if hes still there or been moved at all? Also may i ask where u found the inquest information? Very interesting to know lukes employer etc and the circumstances of his death.
Thanks
Laura

The burial in 1891 was at Wardsend Cemetery section K 258 although the service at St Philips.

St Philips churchyard was closed in 1857 except for interments in family vaults until 1918

Angela

Hi dave thanks again for helping me get my head around this i was wondering if there was 2 ruths both marrying the same william spriggs there for a minute 😪
Kind regards
Laura

Hi angela thanks for this info may i ask is there any way to find out if luke has a
Headstone at wardsend?
Also how can i access the burials at wardsend to see if any other spriggs family are buried there?
Thanks
Laura

Laura

Wardsend have a Facebook page and also a website https://wardsendcemetery.wordpress.com/buried-at-wardsend/

Angela

Burials in Wardsend Cemetery
grave: K258 (plan K1, no MI)

SPRIGGS Luke 1 Sep 1891 Flora St 62y
SPRIGGS George Henry 24 Apr 1915 9 in Court 6 Walkley Lane died at Ecclesall Institution 49y
SPRIGGS John William 21 Jul 1915 111 Freedom St died at Ecclesall Institution 60y
SPRIGGS Ruth 18 Mar 1916 111 Freedom St died at Sheffield Union Hospital 59y
[name/date of burial/address/age]

Hugh

Hi hugh do you know if theres anymore spriggs family members buried at wardsend?
Kind regards
Laura

Hi barry where did you get the birth info from for luke? Kindest regards laura

Hi Laura,
For the baptism(12th March,1828 Peterborough) of Henry Thomas Spriggs- I used Family Search. Since my original comments, I have checked out Ancestry. Both sites just gave the parents as William & Ruth Spriggs.
The Ancestry image gives a little more detail: the baptism took place at St.John the Baptist Church, Peterborough. William and Ruth were residing in Peterborough and William's occupation was a labourer. The ceremony was performed by a curate-T. Horn.
Both websites have people with Family Trees, for Luke Spriggs.

Also another possible child, Martin Spriggs born 1833-D.7th August,1833 age 7 weeks. Ceremony at St.Andrew's, Whittlesea, parents William and Ruth,residing at Briggate (Brig Gate..??).

I have not found a death for Henry Thomas Spriggs.

However,there are some coincidences for a Thomas Spriggs: ref:Family Search
1841-Caster/Peterborough there is a Thomas Spriggs (19) with the Seabright family.
1851- Caster/ditto Thomas(26) still with the Seabright family but a visitor named
Jane Musson (27) is also there. Musson being the maiden name of William's second wife, Alice...!!
1861- Peterborough there is a Thomas (38)wife Charlotte and 5 children.
1871- ditto Thomas (48) Charlotte & 3 children
1881- ditto Thomas (57)Widower)(Bricklayers labourer) and Edward Reed Spriggs his grandson(17)
1882-Possible death of Thomas Spriggs age 59 (1823)??

Luke Spriggs was baptized 6th Sept/1830 at St.Andrew's in Whittlesea by Rev.J.T.Pedley. parents William & Ruth residing at Horsegate (Horse Gate..??) So Luke could have been born anywhere from 1817 (Wm & Ruth married) to 1830. On most of the census records, Luke's year of birth fluctuates between 1828 and 1832.

HAPPY HUNTING:sleuth_or_spy:

The only other SPRIGGS buried at Wardsend is this one:

Grave O330
SPRIGGS Sarah Ann 3 Sep 1871 Florence St 9m da Luke

This grave is also the burial place of 5 members of the ABBEY family plus a John WEBSTER. There is a gravestone listing 4 ABBEYs but not Sarah Ann SPRIGGS. I can't at the moment see a link between Sarah Ann and the ABBEY family.

Hugh