Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
What happened to the Baxters? before & after 1841

My Husband has an Ann Baxter marrying his Gt Grandad in 1845 she bring Henry Baxter with her,

Baxter, Ann of 12 Court 12, back Rockingham Street, Sheffield West. Aged 2 years.
(Piece #1338/9, folio 10a, enumeration district 21.)
Find Similar in Same Area Same Household if Available Surname Match if Available

Baxter, Henry of 12 Court 12, back Rockingham Street, Sheffield West. Aged 2mo years.
Find Similar in Same Area Same Household if Available Surname Match if Available

Baxter, Milly of 12 Court 12, back Rockingham Street, Sheffield West. Aged 28 years.

She is living with a Jenkinson Family (are they relations in 1841?)

(1) is Milly and Ann the same person 1813or 1815 (2) what was her Baxter Husband called and what happened to him. (3) where did little Ann go born 1839 as she didnt come with her to the Marriage,

All Sheffield but I cannot find anything on this site or anywhere else. Thank you so much for any ideas. Happy New Year.

Re: What happened to the Baxters? before & after 1841

Hi Kathleen,

Did Ann Baxter marry William Haywood?

Moira.

Hi Kathleen,

The 1841 census gives the Baxter children Ann aged 2 and Henry 2 months. I checked the GRO birth index and discovered that Ann's birth was registered March qtr. 1839 (Sheffield, vol.22, page 56) and the mother's maiden name was shown as Booth. Henry's birth was registered in the June qtr. 1841 (Sheffield, vol. 22, page 556) and his mother's maiden name was Bellamey (sic).

Michael Baxter married Mary Booth at Rotherham parish church 21 March 1836. They had a daughter Ellen, who was born 26.02.1837 and baptised at Sheffield Cathedral church of St Peter and St Paul on 05.04.1837 and the above daughter, Ann. Ellen died aged 1 and was buried on 04.04.1838 at Sheffield cathedral.

Mary, wife of Michael Baxter, died aged 23 and was buried on 02.07.1839 at St George, Brook Hill, Sheffield. Michael then married Amelia Bellamy on 05.08.1840 at Sheffield Cathedral. He was a widower aged 26 and she was a spinster aged 27. Her father was Robert Bellamy, a stove grate fitter. Their son Henry was born about March 1841 (the census in 1841 was not until early June). Michael Baxter died aged 26 and was buried at St George on 06.04.1841. Ann, the daughter of his first marriage died aged 3 and was also buried at St George on 06.03.1842.

On 28 September 1845 at Sheffield Cathedral William Haywood, 45, widower married Ann Baxter, 34, widow. Her father's name was Robert Bellamy.

I can understand Amelia being shown as Milly on the 1841 census but why does she appear as Ann when she married William Haywood?

I hope this is useful.

Margaret

Hi

In 1851 the Haywood family are living in Carver Street.
William Haywood 51
Ann Haywood 36
Henry Baxter 9
William Haywood 2
Mary Ann Haywood 3 Mo
Charles Haywood 43

Their son William b.1849 and Mary Ann b.1851 were both buried at St George, Brook Hill on 13 Nov 1851. Address was Carver Street.

Sue

Could we have a problem regarding Ann and Amelia because the ages do not seem to tie up. I wonder if Ann was a sister of Amelia and could they have married Baxter brothers at some point and both Baxter brothers had died and Ann's second marriage has been found but not Amelia's. Just a thought not definite

Thank you to everyone who answered - the Baxters were a complicated family, it just shows how many Fathers, Mothers and children died young. I wonder why Ann would look after Amelia's child Henry, had Amelia died by this time also? Henry took the surname of Haywood in his later years Ann's second husband surname

Please can anyone look for the Ann Bellamy marrying a Baxter. I have looked and looked with no luck and did they have any children. Then I can put these relations to bed on our tree. Thank you so much

Kathleen,

I have searched for both Amelia and Ann and the only marriage I could find was the one I have already told you about to Michael Baxter in 1840. I have been unable to find any baptisms for daughters of a Robert Bellamy under either of those names. I suspect Amelia and Ann are the same person. When she married Michael Baxter she signed her name Amilia (not Amelia) Bellamy and when she married William Haywood when she signed Ann it looks very much as if she started writing Am and then changed it. Perhaps she didn't want to be traced. I don't think too much can be read from the variation in the ages as they aren't significant.

Margaret

Thank you for your quick reply