Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Would like some help

Hi
I am looking for information on a horrace leonard charles mitchell who went under leonard charles mitchell who live in sheffield and died there. He also lived in bakewell for a time he was born in 1895
Sorry that's all I know

Re: Would like some help

The birth of a Horace Leonard C Mitchell was registered Q1 1895 Winchester, Hants, MMN Stratton.

It looks like the family shows up in Bakewell in the 1911 census, with four sons and a daughter living with their parents in South Church St. Bakewell: Charles Mitchell, working as a verger at the church, born 1868 Droxford Hants, Sarah Mitchell born 1870 Brambridge Hants, Leonard who was 16 and working as a “Delver in Stone Quarry”, born 1895 Bishopstoke Hants, Archy born 1897 Bishopstoke, Victor born 1898 Swanmore Hants, Ephraim born 1906 Natal South Africa and Nona born 1908 in Bakewell.

Three of the boys joined the Hampshire regiment in World War 1. Leonard’s letters home, and a letter from Archy, are mentioned in the press in 1914 and 1915. Leonard wrote his letters in the early phase of the war, when there was a lot of rapid movement before the whole trench warfare thing settled in.

Sheffield Daily Telegraph Thursday 17 September 1914 Private Leonard Mitchell wrote “We are enjoying ourselves out here” adding that “the marching is terribly hard” … “averaging 24 to 25 miles a day, besides encounters with the enemy”. He said that they had “not had more than 36 hours’ sleep” since leaving the UK.

Sheffield Daily Telegraph Saturday 31 October 1914 “We still keep driving them back, but it is slow work. I think, however, there will be a change before very long. If not, I shall be very much surprised.”

Sheffield Daily Telegraph Saturday 21 November 1914 it sounds like they were in an absolute storm of bullets and shrapnel, and he was trying to be sort of reassuring to his mum and dad despite a 55% casualty rate. “We are getting on fairly well out here” … “during the past three days it has been like hell upon earth” ... “My company has got 116 men left out of 258”. “The fellow who is as tall as me in the regiment got wounded.” “I had a lump of shrapnell hit me on the hand, one in the ribs, and another just below the hip. while a rifle bullet just shaved my head-two of them fetched blood, but nothing to be afraid of.”

Sheffield Daily Telegraph Saturday 26 June 1915 Private Archie Mitchell “wounded and in hospital at Malta” wrote to his dad “Charles Mitchell of Bakewell, verger at All Saints’ Church”, to say that his little brother “Drummer Victor Mitchell” had been killed in action in the Dardanelles campaign. “The deceased lad, for he was only 17, was the youngest of three of Mr. Mitchell’s sons serving in the Hampshire Regiment, in which their father formerly served. Lance-Corporal Leonard Mitchell, the eldest, who is in the 1st Regiment, was a victim to severe frost-bite last winter”.

I think that Victor must be the Albert Edward Victor Mitchell, 17 years of age, died 04 June 1915 and commemorated on the Helles Memorial on the Gallipoli peninsula, having no known grave.

Incidentally, Nona Selina married Frank Robinson in 1928, and died in Sheffield in 1973. In 1939 she was charged with murdering her adopted daughter but the charges were dismissed. It’s a bit of a weird looking story (Sheffield Daily Telegraph - Thursday 20 April 1939). She was described as being in a “very distressed state”.

There’s a marriage index record saying that Horace L C Mitchell married Mary Booth in Sheffield in 1936.

There is a family tree on MyHeritage which says that Leonard was born in Bishopstoke in March 1895, married Emily Eliza Fletcher (no date given), had two children Ethel May (b 17/11/1916 Sheffield) and Albert Edward V born 12/07/1920 died 1991 Sheffield), and that Leonard died 29 March 1945. He must have named the boy after his little brother. The MyHeritage tree doesn’t mention Mary Booth or have any details of where Leonard died or where they got the info.

Cheers,

Andrew P.

Hi Angela,
Andrew's find of a possible second marriage in 1936 March qtr. to Mary Booth looks like it POSSIBLY brought forth a love child, Patricia Mitchell, born 1936 June qtr. Sheffield... mother's name given as Mitchell...?? (Ref: BMD)

However, over to your left on this S.I. website under burial records, there is a record for a Charles Leonard Mitchell (postman) Died 1947 (age 51) with him in the same grave is a Mary Mitchell died 1982 age 68 and also Patricia Richards died 1979 age 41(puts her birth at 1938..??). Are these are your 'rellies'...???

If they are related: Patricia Mitchell possibly married Frederick Richards in 1956 in Sheffield and it looks as if they had two children..Stephen. F. Richards B:1957 Sheffield and Rosemary J. B:1962 Sheffield (Ref: BMD)
HAPPY HUNTING:sleuth_or_spy:

thank you for your help it has been very helpful,

now I am trying to find out if my grandfather had been married before Mary to Emily Eliza Fletcher and had two children. and looking at sheffield telegraph about his letters of the war

thank you again for your help

Hi Angela,

If you go to FreeBMD.

https://www.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/search.pl

This is a free site that lists all B/M/D's or at least the ones that were registered from July 1837. The more recent ones will not be listed.

Enter the surnames of the two people you have mentioned and see what comes up. I dont know how recent the marriage was but for Sheffield and area the Vol was either 22, 9c or 2d.

Try that and see if you can find them. OR use a marriage you do know of just to check the site out.

For Births the same process. BUT you should get to know how the GRO index works as well.

Elaine in Ottawa.

Instant Messenger: Skype

Hi Angela et al,

As Elaine said, there is a lot of info on Free BMD once you know your way around the website.
I have been unable to find a marriage between Emily Eliza Fletcher and Horace Leonard.C.Mitchell.
The children Emily had,(see Andrew's reference for names/dates) both had the surname Mitchell and both of them married in that name in Sheffield.
On the GRO records the Mitchell children had no mothers maiden name but on the BMD website the mothers maiden is given as Fletcher.

HAPPY HUNTING

This one is very confusing.
The GRO/Free BMD mystery on Mitchell births with no mmn/ Fletcher MMn continues to at least two further births, George in 1919 and Walter in 1922 and maybe Raymond in 1926 is a third.
The 1939 Register for the Charles Mitchell Postman is also confusing, and clearly has errors.
Charles has birthdate 23 12 1895 (but if that was actually 1894 then it would fit the correct Horace whose birth reg was in Q1 1895), Mary is said to have remarried in 1951 to Ashworth and Patricia is said to have later married to Richards. Unfortunately it gives her birth year as 1931, not 1938. That is clearly erroneous because she is said to be under school age!!
I can only assume Mary must have married Ashworth (there is a marriage which fits)and later divorced him in order to fit with being buried as Mitchell.
We need Angela to fill us in on more details of the recent history of her grandfather. Are we chasing 2 different people?
Dave

thank you so much for finding out so much information

horrace leonard charles mitchell is the charles mitchell who died in 1947 is my grandfather. His father was called charles mitchell who was the verger at bakewell church. he died in 1929 sheffield

horrace would have been around the age of 21 when ethel may was born, could it had been is father that married or lived with emily as ethel was baptised parents name was given as emily and charles. horrace used leonard at that time when ethel went to school charles had died so leonard could have been oldest male so the bread winner of the house

leonard is used on ethel's school records and her brothers

I think that there was alot of name changing with in the mitchell family

I am trying to find out any information about the mitchell family that live at 123 cyclops street

again thank you

Angela, you need to purchase the birth certificate for Ethel from GRO. That should clarify the mother maiden name enigma and may give more details about the father.
It is available in PDF format so only £7.
Dave

Hi Angela et al,

Dave's suggestion to purchase a birth certificate for Ethel May is a good start to finding the enigma of Emily Eliza Fletcher.

I have just found a POSSIBLE marriage, if someone could check out the details for me on BMD.
CHARLES H. MITCHELL
M: 1917 Mar. qtr. Sheffield. 9C. 668
EDITH H. FLETCHER

Could we have been following the wrong FLETCHER..??(Given on the MY HERITAGE TREE, that Andrew referred to previously on this thread..??) and is CHARLES H. MITCHELL the same person as Horace Leonard Charles Mitchell..??
OR..is he the father of Horace Leonard as you (Angela) have suggested who possibly married a second time.(when did Charle's first wife, SARAH die..??).
BUT... it still begs the question about the baptism for Ethel May, that you (Angela) mentioned, with the parents being named as EMILY & CHARLES...???

MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE

That 1917 marriage is Charles Henry, 27, silver War badged soldier father John, labourer to Edith Howsom Fletcher 19 father John Thomas Fletcher labourer.
Dave

Hi Dave,
Many thanks for clearing that mess up.