Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Serjeant William Bradshaw

I am hoping that someone may be able to provide me with some information on Serjeant William Bradshaw, who was born in Sheffield in about 1775 or later.

In his Army Statement of Service his trade was recorded as Cutler. He was in the York Fencibles from 1 Jan 1795 to 17 Mar 1801 and the 38th Regiment of Foot from 18 Mar 1801 to 27 Sep 1802. He is next shown as enlisting in the 14th Regiment of Foot on 7 Dec 1813 and was stood down on 23 Dec 1817. As Serjeant William Bradshaw he was part of the 9th Company 3rd Battalion 14th Regiment of Foot. At the Battle of Waterloo he served on the right flank of the allied forces to the north west of Hougoumont Farm, which was part of the 4th British Brigade under Colonel Hugh Mitchell, who was part of the 4th British Division under Lt.General Coleville. William survived the Battle of Waterloo. (Some of this information was obtained from "A tribute to Sergeant William Bradshaw" by Hope Valley College which was added to the Waterloo 200 1815-2015 website on 18 Jun 2015).

I would like to find out more about William Bradshaw outside or in conjunction with his army service - parents, actual birthdate, marriage and children, and finally the date of his death. I presume that he apprenticed as a Cutler before joining the York Fencibles but I may be wrong. What did he do between 1802 and 1813 and after he left the 14th Regiment.

Any assistance or information would be much appreciated.

Re: Serjeant William Bradshaw

On here and the image on FMP 1841 census, living on Eyre Lane is a William Bradshaw, 65, Labourer and Army Pensioner, born in County. Possibly living with John and Elzabeth Davidson, both listed aged 25 and Daughter Elizabeth 4.

Hi Chris, There is a christening for William Bradshaw 3 November 1775 at Cathedral of St Peter & St Paul Sheffield father William, On FMP there is a burial for William Bradshaw born 1774 died 1844 Sheffield, Cannot access full details. There are too many possibilites of marriages to pick one. Regards Barry

His papers and some other info are on FMP.

Search for William Bradshaw with a birthdate of 1779,

There is also a document from his service with 14th ft which states (from what I can read):

"States he was 11 years Serjeant with the Nottingham Militia (something) during the Irish Rebellion at Saintfield and Ballinahinch, was at Waterloo.

No wife or Family.

Sheffield"

According to Wikipedia this would tie in with the Irish Rebellion of 1798.

To add the above record was from the pension board taken in 1842 when he gave his age as 67.

An finally found another document, stating William Bradshaw, 14th Foot, date of admittance (I think this is pension related) 25 June 18 of Sheffield, died 21 11 1844.

It appears he was buried at St Paul's, Pinstone Street on 24 Nov 1844, and sadly died at Sheffield Poorhouse aged 70.