Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Myers family of Ecclesfield

Hi

I've been trying to find a few items for some ancestors from the Myers family of Ecclesfield. They seem to have used St Marys at Ecclesfield as they lived in the area for many years. I've been on here, FMP, Ancestry, FreeBMD etc and Family search and got as much info as I can but here is what I am trying to find:

1. baptism record for James Frederick Myers, born in Ecclesfield around 1868. His parents are James and Elizabeth Myers. James may be listed as a woodsman.

2. wedding certificate for James Myers and Elizabeth Sayles, married Jul-Sep 1859 vol 9c pg 181

3. baptism record for Elizabeth Sayles, born in Ecclesfield around 1840. Her father may be called George (which is why I'm trying to find her wedding certificate so I can confirm this) and her mother may be called Sarah

4. baptism for Thomas Myers, born around 1803. I found a baptism record for a Thomas Myers who's father is Joseph Myers but their address is listed as High Green and I know there was another branch of the Myers so I want to confirm I'm on the right track before going further. Thomas's wedding certificate shows that one of the witnesses was called Benjamin Myers so this could possibly be his brother

Any help appreciated!

Julia :)

Re: Myers family of Ecclesfield

Hi Julia,

To get you started......St Mary's Ecclesfield.

28 Mar 1869 MYERS James Frederick James Elizabeth Woodman Ecclesfield

31 May 1840 SAYLES Elizabeth George Sarah Filesmith Tricket house

Elaine in Ottawa.

PS my source is a transcription by S&DFHS.

Instant Messenger: Skype

Julia, The baptism for ELIZABETH sayles, Ecclesfield in 1840 is on fmp. Parents George (filesmith) and Sarah.The gro index shows her birth reg with mmn as Wommersley.
Fmp has a marriage cert 1834 Sheffield for George Sayles to Sarah Womorsley.
Dave

Adding a little more......

22 May 1803 MYERS Thomas Joseph High Green 30 Apl 1803

16 Jun 1805 MYERS Mary Joseph High Green

6 Jan 1799 MYERS Benjamin John M.Lane End

All Ecclesfield Parish Church. from S&DFHS Disks.

Elaine.

Hi Julia,

One more option for you.

https://www.freereg.org.uk/

FreeReg has St Mary's Ecclesfield in their database.

Elaine in Ottawa.

Hi Julia

The original image of the baptism record Elaine found for James Frederick Myers is on FMP.

Denise

Hi Julia

Theres a Baptism record on FMP for a Benjamin Myers in 1799, Ecclesfield - father John. Maybe Thomas and Benjamin were cousins, with fathers Joseph and John brothers. Close in age and living close to each other ??

Denise

Hi Julia, Here are some newspaper articles reference Myers - may or may not be your branch of the family?

Sheffield Independent advert 9th April 1853 for various lots of timber for sale– James Myers woodman of Bowden Astwith (near Richmond) will show the lots – a long way south of Ecclesfield but may be helpful?

Sheffield Independent advert 25th March 1854 advert for various lots of timber at Stannington – Thomas Myers woodman of Smithy Wood near Ecclesfield will give particulars

Sheffield Independent advert 12th January 1856 wood to be sold in Rocher Wood near Bradfield, James Myers, Woodman of Smithy Wood Cottage, Hesley can give particulars.

Sheffield Daily Telegraph and Independent 3rd July 1858 – in the case of Ellis v. The Sheffield Bench, an appeal against a poaching case decision made the previous April. James Myers, Woodman to the Duke of Norfolk, Ecclesfield testified that he knew Thomas Ellis and had been out drinking with him, but left him in his house at 1am getting his boots off ready for bed.

Sheffield Daily Telegraph 21rd February 1865 and advert for various lots of timber at Awkley and Hirst House near Doncaster. James Myers, Woodman of Hesley Park, Rotherham to give particulars

Sheffield Daily Telegraph 3rd December 1873 – William Enoch, a miner, was charged by James Myers, a woodman of Ecclesfield, for wilful damage to his house. At midnight the previous Monday, Myers and his wife were awakened by a noise. Myers got up and looked out of the window and saw Enoch throwing stones at the windows. Enoch said he had “done half the job and he would finish it”. Stones and glass fell on the childrens’ bed and they were taken to safety. A total of 29 panes of glass were broken. Enoch was fined damages and costs totalling £5 or 2 months in gaol in default.

Sheffield Daily Telegraph 18th November 1874 – Thomas Myers, a woodman living at Ecclesfield, was fined 40s and costs for trespassing with a gun on land over which Mr Duncan has the right of shooting

Sheffield Independent 18th July 1888 – Thomas Myers, woodman of no fixed abode, was summoned for being drunk and disorderly, but did not appear in court. The landlord of the Station Inn on the Wicker (Mr Fisher) was brought to the police station to pay his bail. Fisher said that Myers was an old offender and the bail money would probably be lost as Myers wouldn’t turn up, but what was a couple of pounds between old friends. A warrant for Myers arrest was issued.

Thanks everyone, I'll sit down with my folder and have a look at all this information at the weekend!

Ted - the newspaper articles that mention Smithy Wood are probably the right ones, I'll check the dates. One of them (can't remember if it was a James or a Thomas) was a landlord and woodsman at The Travellers off Cowley Hill in Chapeltown.

:slightly_smiling_face: