Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Burial Record Check - City Road - Section X - No. 12703

Hi, just wanting to check that the grave in the heading is correct. Its occupants are shown in the database as William Burrows and Horatio Toothill. I have noted Horatio's wife (Martha) in 12783 (also Section X). Could be a typo, or alternatively, could offer me another lead into this relative? Thanks

Re: Burial Record Check - City Road - Section X - No. 12703

Nothing to do with your request but on a tree I am doing for a friend I have got Mary Toothill marrying Oliver Jenkinson in 1837 in Sheffield. Any connection?

John

Hi John, I am in the midst of looking into Toothill's born in the early 1800's to try to get a handle on my great-great grandfather (Horatio), and his siblings. I'm still in the preparation and data collection stage, and with that caveat, I do have a Mary in my records. She was born 25/12/1814. Parents I believe are Benjamin (born about 1792) and Hannah (maiden name is Firth - born about 1793). I haven't cross checked all this as I intended to do, but could this be the Mary you mention? I have some idea that Benjamin & Hannah came from Haworth (where there is a large number of Toothill's recorded). Anyway, I hope this helps. If you need anything more, let me know and if I can help, I will do so.

Thank you for your info, I shall dig my notes out and brush the dust off as I have not touched it for a time and see what I can find.

Hi

I have taken a look at the burial book for Horatios burial and I believe it reads as plot No 12783 ( I am sure Admin will alter it once they have checked it)

There isn't a headstone at plot 12703 but there is a Marker stone at plot 17283 nearing the one set of initials ( M T ) You are welcome to a copy of the photo if you like

Cheers Tony

As far as i can tell from my records this is the Mary Toothill on my friends tree I am doing. Her parents were Benjamin and Hannah who married at Rotherham Minster on 1st March 1812. Mary married Oliver Jenkinson on 1st Jan 1837 and was buried 12 Jan 1877 Hope this helps.

Thanks for the update Tony. I'd be interested to see the photo of the plot.

Thanks John - I will include the marriage information in my Toothill research.

Just bumping to the top so Admin can check the entry

Hi Tony & Paul,

Martha & Horatio Toothill are in the same grave along with a number of other Toothills.
Sec X No 12783.

Toothill, Horatio (B Metalsmith, age 56).
Died at 68 Cemetery Rd; Buried on September 11, 1889 in Consecrated ground;
Grave Number 12783, Section X of City Road Cemetery, Sheffield.
Parent or Next of Kin if Available: . Remarks: .
Plot Owner: ~ ~ of ~. Page No 474

Elaine in Ottawa.

Instant Messenger: Skype

Hi Elaine & Tony, thanks for confirming

Have a good evening