Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
The Gascoyne family

I am researching my husband (Brian Watson), mothers family.
Starting with Mary Gascoyne, 1894 - 1961, my husbands grand mother.

Her father, Joe Gascoyne, 1872 - 1943, Great Grandfather

His father, Charles (Chas ) Gascoyne, 1831 - 1896, Great great Grandfather.

His father, Joseph Gascoyne, 1814 - ?, Great great great Grandfather.
Any information relating to these families would be appreciated.

Thank you
Isobel

Re: The Gascoyne family

Hi Isobel,
Not sure what type of info you are looking for as it seems you have made a good start with the above given dates.
There is a wealth of information on this website about what I believe is your husband's family, also on Family Search website.
JOSEPH B:1814 possibly married 1828 Mary Sharman in Sheffield
Mary in 1841 is on her own with 4 children and yet in 1843 another child is born so possibly Joseph is still around then..?? Joseph was a cutler.
In 1861, Mary is now calling herself Simpson and is with a Thomas Simpson (I have not found their marriage)with them is a Simpson daughter and 2 Gascoigne step children.

CHARLES B:1831 (father of JOE) possibly married 1853 Elizabeth Slack and had other children. Charles was a pen-blade grinder.

JOE B: 1872 (father of Mary Elizabeth B:1894) possibly married Emma Burbeary (a love child of Mary Ann Burbeary who later possible married Michael Grady). Looks like Joe and Emma had 6 children. JOE was a patient at Sheffield Royal Infirmary in 1911, he was a crane driver at a steelworks.

MARY ELIZABETH: B:1894 possibly married WALTER WATSON in 1912 in Sheffield. I see at least two children recorded Bernard in 1913 and Joe in 1920.

HAPPY HUNTING:sleuth_or_spy:

just a quick observation Joseph 1814 married 1828 aged 14? Unless of course he was baptised pretty late in life.

John

Hi John et al,
JOSEPH B: 1814 is the date Isobel gave, so I was just using it as a reference point., I have not been able to verify a birth date for Joseph. I would imagine the Joseph who married in 1828 was older because Mary on the 1841 census was 33 and in 1861 age 54 putting her birth 1807/08 so she would have been about 20 in 1828.
Sorry if I misled anyone.

HAPPY HUNTING:sleuth_or_spy:

Wendy,

Thank you so much for the information.

The Bernard born 1913 is my husbands father.

Thank you again

Isobel

JohnS

Thank you for the info.

10yr old getting married/baptised. I will have to look into this.

Thanks again

Isobel