Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Bradshaw Family living on Brownell Street in August 1839

I am still on the search for Bradshaw relatives in Sheffield in the first half of the 19th Century. My 2 x great-grandfather, William George Frith Bradshaw was born in 1819, the illegitimate son of William George Frith (Surgeon & Apothecary) and Ann Bradshaw. I believe that Ann Bradshaw's family were Cutlers. After leaving Oscott College in Staffordshire in August 1839, William George Frith Bradshaw was staying with a maternal uncle (name unknown but presumably Bradshaw) and his family. This uncle`s wife (also name unknown) had apparently died in about 1835/36. The return address on a letter sent by William on August 13, 1839 had the following return address on it:

William Bradshaw
Brownell Street
Nr Black Horse (Pub)
Sheffield

Is there any way of finding out if there was a Bradshaw family living on Brownell Street in 1839? I know there was a George Bradshaw (shown as Bradhaw) and family living on Brownell Street in the 1851 Census and a William Bradshaw and 3 young Bradshaws on Daisy Walk, which is the next street from Brownell, in the 1841 Census but I have not been able to definitely connect these Bradshaws with Ann Bradshaw, William's mother.

In a previous post I reported that Ann Bradshaw married William Bilbrough on January 25, 1829 and had 3 daughters with him. I have no evidence that William Bradshaw was ever in contact with her having been in the care of the Frith family for most of his life.

Hoping that someone can assist me to join the dots together!

Re: Bradshaw Family living on Brownell Street in August 1839

From the directories on here:

Bradshaw, George (, Springknife manufacturer).
Address: 17 Brownell Street, in 1852.
Recorded in: White's Gazetteer & General Directory of Sheffield - 1852.
Find Similar at Same Address if Available Surname Match if Available

Bradshaw, Wm (~, Spng. Knf. Mfr.).
Address: 13 Brownell St, in 1841.
Recorded in: Henry & Thos. Rodgers Sheff & Roth Directory - 1841.
Find Similar at Same Address if Available Surname Match if Availab

Re: Bradshaw Family living on Brownell Street in August 1839

Many thanks for the information which is very helpful.