Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Name Transcribed wrongly

Whilst searching for family members on the Parish records, I came across the baptism record for my uncle, but the surname has been transcribed wrongly. Who should I contact for rectifying this?

Re: Name Transcribed wrongly

Jeanne, simply tell us on here which record and what you believe is wrong and you will receive a response, and if necessary the record will be corrected.
Dave

Jeanne, I intended you to post your info here, not send it to me by private email. I reproduce your answer below to be picked up by the right person to check and correct:

Dave

Thankyou for taking time to reply to this query.
My uncle's name was George Neville Wilkinson and his mother's name was Ellen and not Nellie. The date born and address are correct.

WILLIAMSON, George Neville (of 61 Elton St, born 1922-01-26).
Baptised March 1, 1922, by ~ at St Mary, Walkley.
Parents name(s) are Nellie & Fred (Grinder).

Just to show you that it is him, my aunt Irene Ellen who is 3 years younger has the correct information.

WILKINSON, Irene Ellen (of 61 Elton St, born 1925-05-30).
Baptised July 1, 1925, by ~ at St Mary, Walkley.
Parents name(s) are Ellen & Fred (Blade Grinder).

Hi Jeanne,

The following may help you to sort the confusion out.

**Nelly and Nellie are female given names, also used as nicknames (sometimes for men), which are derived from the names Helen, Ellen, Petronella, Danielle, Cornelia, Eleanor, Janelle, Chanelle, Penelope or Noelia.**

The originals are held at Sheffield Archive which is closed due to Covid.

Elaine in Ottawa.

Instant Messenger: Skype

Mother's given name is not a problem but the surname also needs checking since presumbly it *should* be WILKINSON

Hugh

Hi Hugh/Jeanne,

We need to check the original entry in St Mary's register as that is the source of the transcription. Because of Covid we do not have access to the Archives. If the transcription is wrong then I can change it in our database. If it is correct I can then add a note but the (incorrect) Surname would remain. We transcribe what we see even if we know it to be wrong.

Soooooo the magic answer is we have to wait.

Elaine in Ottawa.

Instant Messenger: Skype