Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Looking for more information for my husband and his father's family

My husband was born in Sheffield England in 1980 to Michael John James and Marie Ann Unwin. We believe his father was born in 1954. Michael has since passed away from what we were told. We believe around 2002-2003, however we do not have his father's exact birthdate. We are trying to find more information for his father as he was brought to the states as a child by his mother and he wonders if he has brothers and sisters. Michael and Marie divorced in (we believe) 1980 shortly after my husband was born, however I cannot find that record either. I did find their marriage certificate from 1973, which I ordered but have not yet received. I am hoping that will have his birthdate on it which would help us. Any assistance in research is greatly appreciated.

Re: Looking for more information for my husband and his father's family

Hello Jennifer and welcome to the forum.
We will be happy to help,particularly with historic information about people who are deceased. BUT When publishing information here we have to be careful that we respect the privacy of (potentially) living people.
Can I recommend a Web site to you called FreeBMD. It is free to use and has a very good and powerful search engine. It covers all civil births deaths and marriages in England and Wales from 1837 to the mid 1980s. This means that on there you can find your husbands birth record in 1980, his parents marriage in 1973 and you can search for any other children born after that marriage with surname James and mother maiden name Unwin. That will answer your question about siblings, who if they exist would likely be still living.

When you receive the marriage certificate you have ordered it should give the age in years of the bride and groom but not the full birthday.Then the same database can be used to find the grooms birth,
Once you have that info please come back with further questions. We will not be so evasive when helping with earlier, and therefore deceased, generations.
Generally the aim is to find BMD information to get you back to 1911 when the latest published Census comes into play, and thereafter censuses every 10 years going back to 1841.
Dave

Thank you Dave, my apologies. I do not wish to offend anyone. My husband just never knew anything about his father and seeing as how we just had our last child a son it seems important to find out what we can. Thank you for the information. Do you know of any services there that I can hire to help us since we are in the states?

Hi Jennifer,
Sent you an email.
Thanks,
Lois