Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Trying to find my great Grandads grave and any family members

Good Afternoon
I lost my Grandmother in 2018, her name Was Jean Lawson at birth born in 1927 in Sheffield but moved to London. she was a very private person and didn’t speak too much of her past we only got snippets. I am very much into Ancestry but when it comes to my Grandmother I have come to a dead end. I only know of her parents names Doris Whitaker and Harry Lawson and then it stops, i know that they separated and I think Harry may of re married and possibly had more children.I am desperate to know of my Sheffield connections and if i have any family there and also where they are buried so I can visit. I just wondered if anyone recognises the surnames at all, I believe the area may of been Ecclesall as I think that is where my Grandmother was born.

Re: Trying to find my great Grandads grave and any family members

I presume you know that Harry and Doris married in the Ecclesall Bierlow area in the March quarter of 1927 unfortunately the certificate is not on FMP so can't give you more info at the moment do you know when Harry and Doris were born please?

There is a Doris Lawson , married, living with a child but no husband at 16 Miles Road Sheffield in 1939 Register. Her birthday is 9th July 1905. GRO index has birth Doris Whitaker mmn Wilson q3 1905 Sheffield so that fits together nicely.
Dave
Edit, definitely correct. Doris Whitaker baptised 30 Jul 1905, Sheff parish Church. Birthdate given as 9 JUL 1905
Parents Thomas William and Eliza Ann address 14 HOLLIS Croft

Doris's parents are buried at City Rd

WHITAKER, Eliza Ann (Wife of Thomas, age 58).
Died at 24 Beechwood Rd; Buried on February 12, 1941 in Consecrated ground;
Grave Number 19407, Section A6 of City Road Cemetery, Sheffield

WHITAKER, Thomas William (Retired fitter, age 79).
Died at 171 Sutherland Rd; Buried on September 6, 1961 in Consecrated ground;
Grave Number 19407, Section A6 of City Road Cemetery, Sheffield.

Hugh

1911 census, 137 Shoreham Street, Sheffield.
Thomas William Whitaker, 28, Engineers fitter repairer, born Gleadless,Dby.
Eliza Whitaker, 28, wife, born Sheffield.
Elsie Whitaker, dau, 7, born Sheffield.
Doris Whitaker, dau, 5, born Sheffield.
Lillia Whitaker, dau, 1, born Sheffield.
Arthur Whitaker,son, 3, born Sheffield.
All the above children have the MMN Wilson. Gleadless is now a suburb of Sheffield.

In 1939, Thomas W. and Eliza are living at 24 Beechwood Road, Sheffield.

Thomas and Eliza Ann married 19 May 1902 at St Barnabus, Highfield, Sheffield.

Moira.

Doris Lawson/Whitaker re married (Tunnard) .in Surrey in 1949. The marriage is double registered in the two names so there must have been a divorce before that.
To fully identify Harry it will be necessary to purchase the 1927 marriage cert to get his age and father name.
There is a likely candidate. HARRY Lawson born January 1905 died Sheffield 1971. It looks like he may have remarried in 1950 because the marriage is double registered to an Olive Lawson/Paget. That certificate would confirm or deny it is the same Harry.
Dave

From the burial records on here:

WHITAKER, Eliza Ann (Wife of Thomas, age 58).
Died at 24 Beechwood Rd; Buried on February 12, 1941 in Consecrated ground;
Parent or Next of Kin if Available: ~. Remarks: .
Plot Owner: ~ ~ of ~. Page No 261
Find Similar in Same Grave Same Household if Available Surname Match if Available

WHITAKER, Thomas William (Retired fitter, age 79).
Died at 171 Sutherland Rd; Buried on September 6, 1961 in Consecrated ground;
Parent or Next of Kin if Available: ~. Remarks: ~.
Plot Owner: ~ ~ of ~. Page No 305
Find Similar in Same Grave Same Household if Available Surname Match if Available

Lisa,
There is a tree on Ancestry which has Harry Lawson b 1905 sheffield, died 1971 Sheffield.
It also has hiswife Olive Paget b 1925 died 10 Oct 1983.
There is a child who is marked as private.
From your message I believe you have access to Ancestry so I recommend you contact that tree owner who presumably knows where she is buried
Dave

I am also researching "Lawson" ancestors but not related to your Lawson. I got on to a great site managed by Gerald Lawson. gdl@yorksgen.co.uk> He has thousands of Lawsons listed, might be of some help. Good luck, Helen