Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
1939 Herbert Woodhouse & others

Herbert & Gladys Woodhead were at 66 Middlewood Road Wortley RD along with 2 others and one closed. I believe one will be Herbert's father Tom, but who was the 4th ? Including date of birth's if poss.

Herbert, Gladys & Tom Woodhouse were killed by a German bomb at 66 Bland Houses Middlewood Rd 14 March 1941

Re: 1939 Herbert Woodhouse & others

The other occupant is

Ian Woodhouse 30 Nov 1868 Male Retired General Labourer Widowed 68

Bev

1939 Herbert Woodhouse & Others

Hi Bev

Many thanks. I was wondering if it was Herbert's mother Ellen (Tom was his father) but she must have died prior.

Sorry but I cannot seem to find an Ian Ian Woodhouse with a date of birth 10 Nov 1868. I note the 1939 gives 68 as age? That would have made it 1871, but still not finding him or am I just missing it!!!!

Should have read 30 Nov 1868

Hi David,

There is no registration of a birth for Ian Woodhouse.I looked at two years either side of 1868. Could the 1939 register be wrong. He was sixty eight in that year. Could they have used that number.

I also looked for Woolhouse.

He is NOT one of mine by the way.

Elaine in Ottawa.

Instant Messenger: Skype

Hi Elaine

I'm glad its not me. I could not find an Ian on anything. Perhaps he had another name?

Perhaps his birth was never registered:

Many births were not recorded during the early years of civil registration. Parents were only legally obliged to inform a registrar of the details of a birth if the registrar demanded them.

Many people thought that a child's baptism was a legal alternative to registration. The position improved from 1875 when the Births and Deaths Act 1874 imposed a duty upon those present at a birth or death to report it to a registrar. There were fines for non-registration and penalties for late registration ( more than 42 days after a birth). Despite this some births and deaths after 1875 have not been recorded. In order to avoid paying a late registration penalty some parents reported a later (incorrect) date of birth for a child.

Angela

David

No age is given on the 1939 register, only the date of birth
68 is the Schedule number

Angela

Hi there,

I believe that I saw a David Ian when I was looking on FindMyPast.

Do you have access?

Elaine.

Instant Messenger: Skype

Hi Elaine

No I don't have full access to FMP.

There also doesn't seem to be a death record for an Ian Woodhouse either and he was obviously not in the house with the others when it was bombed. Must have another name.

Having downloaded the 1939 page, I am not convinced that the name is Ian

There is an Isabel further down the page and the I in Ian is nothing like the I in Isabel.

It could be a T as there is an occupation of Telephonist further down the page and I would say that the first letter was "T"

Angela

Angela
Having downloaded the 1939 page, I am not convinced that the name is Ian

There is an Isabel further down the page and the I in Ian is nothing like the I in Isabel.

It could be a T as there is an occupation of Telephonist further down the page and I would say that the first letter was \\\\\\\"T\\\\\\\"

Angela
A very good observation by Angela - I was thinking that it was Ian because that's what the OCR says, but looking again and comparing with the "T" in "Taylor" on the preceding page, it could very well say TOM Woodhouse, not Ian...

Cheers,

Andrew P.

Sorry if it's confusing. I'm sure one is Tom (John Thomas Woodhouse) so it would be Herbert, Gladys & Tom. But the address shows 4 person plus one closed?

Hello David

Just to put things straight - there were 3 people killed in the air raid

Thomas Woodhouse, his son Herbert Woodhouse and Gladys Woodhouse (Gladys was wife of Herbert)

Thomas is interred at Wadsley Church with his wife Ellen who died a few years before WWII commenced whilst Herbert & Gladys are interred at Bradfield St, Nicholas

They had a son Brian who survived and as far as I am aware he is still alive although he did have a serious illness a few years ago but I have not seen him lately

The story is that Gladys was pregnant when the bombing took place and she dived on top of Brian to protect him and as I said he survived and was brought up and looked after by the Swift family who were related as this was Gladys maiden name

Hope that this is of help to you

regards - Malcolm Nunn

Thanks Malcolm appreciate getting the full story.