Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
John Scott

I have a brick wall with my maternal grandfather John Scott,born circa 1870.John married Florence Clayton nee Goddard at the Register Office Sheffield on February 21st 1920. On the marriage certificate John is50 years old and a widower, his father is also John a deceased blacksmith journey man.Florence was also a widow.,her first husband taking his own life in 1917. Florence and John both lived at 3 Court 2 House Matthew St. prior to and after the wedding. John's occupation is listed as Licensed Hawker. John seems to have been a bit of a bad lad as the only mention I can find of him is in the Court Reports in local papers, Its the same John Scott as the dress is Matthew St. His occupation is listed as plasterer. There is mention in the papers of his being from Worksop, Nottingham but I am unable to find any census information that matches either there or in Sheffield.John disappeared when my late Mum was three and she never saw him again 1923. In the 1939 Register Florence Scott is listed as married but lives with two of her daughters and a son. where is John??Dis he have another family? Was he really a widower??
Any help, ideas most appreciatedMany Thanks
Glyn Crisp nee Kenworthy formerly of Sheffield, Willyaroo South Australia.

Re: John Scott

Glyn,
1911 census Worksop. JOHN Scott 41 Single plasterer born Notts.
He is living with the head of house Annie Hedley,47, widow and several hedley children.
HER HUSBAND George died in 1900 and there is a son Samuel Hedley born 1906, so it looks like John waS probably his father. SAMUEL IS REGISTERED as Hedley, mmn Starsmore, as are the older children. Annie Hedley age 67 died Worksop 1930 so it looks like he left her and went to Sheffield
Dave

Hi Dave,
Thank you for your prompt response! I like your thinking but John was in Sheffield in 1920 to marry Florence Goddard nee Clayton. Why would he state he was a widower if he wasn’t? In one court record John talks about his son,but I assumed that the son would be one of Florence”s sons from her first marriage. I think you may have the correct John Scott !! The plot thickens! I will check all the records again tomorrow.Its 2130 here. Thanks again Glyn

glyn
I assume he left Annie Hedley before 1920, leaving her behind in Worksop with all her children, one of whom was probably his, Samuel.
The reason I said Annie died 1930 was to be able to say he left her rather than she had died. Either way, he apparently lived with her but did not marry her.
Dave

Thanks again Dave,
I will have to chase up Samual, he may just be my Mum’s half brother. It is really intriguing, Its very sad too as Mum never knew her father and Florence, my Nanan lost two husbands. Goodness knows where John ended up, may have to explore the 1939 Register for Worksop.
Thanks so much
Glyn

Glyn
This may be just a coincidence but from Free Bmd a 69 yr old John Scott died Q4 1928 in Worksop. Did he go back to Annie?
Dave

Hi Dave,
Interesting! I am going to spend the day on the
computer attempting to tie these leads together.
It’s the most information I have ever had for John.
Thanks again for your wonderful help.
Cheers Glyn