Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Burial of two babies

Hi all, I am trying to find where three of my Dad's siblings who were born and died on the same day are buried. They are Ewart Ward, born and died 1910; Ruth Ward, born and died 1909 and Douglas Ward, born and died 1919, all in Sheffield.

They are not buried in the family grave as I have checked.

Can anyone help with this?

Thank you.

Jill

Re: Burial of two babies

Hi Jill,

Always upsetting when one learns of babies who do not survive.

Bereavement Services at City Road Cemetery look after 16 other cemeteries and maybe able to help.

I have checked all the burial information we have and the church yards as well.

Many do not go as far as 1910.

Hope this helps.

Elaine in Ottawa.

Instant Messenger: Skype

Hi Elaine

Thank you very much for your reply and for looking into this for me. Sorry there were three babies and not two. Very sad.

I thought your burial records went later than 1910 or do you mean burial records which are not on the website?

Regards

Jill

Hi Jill,

You are correct most that we have transcribed i.e. City Road & Burngreave (Friends of Burngreave) do go to later dates as you can see from the information under our burial section.

Its the GRAVEYARD burials that were transcribed for the NBI went only as far as 1910ish.

Fingers crossed you find them

Elaine in Ottawa.

Regrettably Jill,

No burial records on FMP Pro.

Regards

Terry

Hi Jill,

Just to add, the first two babies were registered (births) at Hillsborough. With Douglas it could have been either Sheffield North or Ecclesfield.

What were the parents names and could they have been Methodists.

Elaine in Ottawa.

Hi, thanks again for your help. The parents names (my grandparents) are Matthew Ewart Ward and Ruth Ward (nee Deakin).

Elaine. have you found the baptisms for the babies?

Regards

Jill

Hi Jill,

No I have not found burials or baptisms for the children.

On the 1911 census I see they were at Hunter Road Hillsborough. I dont know which Parish they would have been in to check their registers out. Do you know how old the babies were at time of death?

Wardsend Cemetery could be a place to check as I only have burials to 1908 which is just short of where you need to look. NOT in Burngreave or City Road.

FindMyPast is down for maintenance at the moment but will check when they go back on line.

Elaine in Ottawa.

In each case with these 3 babies the registration of death and the registration of birth are very close together, implying the 2 events were registered at the same time.
That further implies that they were each less than 6 weeks old at death, and most probably much less.
Dave

Re: Burial of three babies

Morning Jill,

I agree with DaveT re their birth & death registration being very close.
Ruth, Sep of 1909 and Ewart, June of 1910 for both events.
Douglas, June qtr 1919.

Suggestion... obtain a death cert of either Ruth or Ewart (pdf) is cheaper and will give you an address.Then again if they were born at a Hospital (Jessops?) the registration would have been in Sheffield where I believe that Hillsborough would have been Ecclesall Bierlow.
Takes a matter of days if not hours to obtain on line.

Check with Friends of Wardsend Cemetery if they have a list of later burials.
The parents were buried in City Road in consecrated ground so not Methodists.

Hope something turns up.

Elaine.

Hi Elaine

Thank you for your help (and others who have replied).

I have a death certificate for Ruth, she died at 14 Oakland Road in Hillsborough, aged five hours from premature birth.

I also have a death certificate for Ewart, he died at 62 Hunter Road, also in Hillsborough, aged 3 hours from premature birth.

And I've also found I have a death certificate for Douglas. He died at 14 Bellefield Street, which I think is in the Netherthorpe area, an address where various members of the family lived at different times. He died aged eight hours old from premature birth.

Does this give any further indication of where the children might be buried?

Regards

Jill

Hi Jill,

From the death certs all three children were born at home, most likely with a Midwife present. As it doesn't state how many weeks premature they were and that they died within hours of birth we can presume that the Midwife baptised the babies as they are not showing up in any records I have.

Oakland Rd & Hunter Rd should be in the St John the Baptist Parish which we transcribed.

Bellefield St I would say came under either St Philips or St Ann's Netherthorpe.

I still think you should speak to the people at Bereavement Services at City Road and maybe they can help lead you to the answer. Do be prepared for you never being able to find a burial site.

Take care.

Elaine in Ottawa.