Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Ibbotson of Oughtibridge and Sheffield.

Brickwall,

David Ibbotson/Ibbetson and myself have been collaborating with no luck.

We are trying to find a "BURIAL" for the following couple

William Ibbotson died March of 1887 in Sheffield.
Elizabeth his wife nee Swain died at Stanley Fold in Oughtibridge in April of 1897.
Aged 46 & 57 respectively.

William was a file cutter. They had 12 children with the youngest born in 1887 the same year as her fathers death. (Sheffield)

The Swains, Elizabeth's parents are buried at Loxley Congregational Chapel.
All the children born to William & Elizabeth were baptised C of E.

I have used all the NBI material I have from S&DFHS. Bradfield/Ecclesfield/Oughtibridge in particular.
FMP & Family search.

Have I missed something.
Just annoying we can't find anything.

My gut feeling says they are in the Cemetery at Oughtibridge and have not been recorded.

Take care Sheffield in your stage three lockdown. Ottawa is not far behind you.
Snow forecast for tomorrow.

Elaine in Ottawa.

Instant Messenger: Skype

Re: Ibbotson of Oughtibridge and Sheffield.

Hi Elaine,

I have just looked at the register of burials for Oughtibridge Church.
From the beginning of 1887, there are burials dated 21 Jan, 27 march, 5 April and
10 April but none are for an Ibbotson burial. So by the looks of it, William
was not buried there.

Moira.

Thanks Moira its a puzzle.

Elaine.

I found some newspaper articles which said that in February 1897 the parish clerk in Oughtibridge sued the vicar.
Seems the vicar hadn’t been keeping any record of monies received, and he hadn’t paid the parish clerk any salary for work done.
If the rift between them was that bad, was the clerk still doing the paperwork in April.....?
Later reports said that other people had also complained about the vicar and that he was mobbed.
It also said that by 1904 most burials were taking place in Bradfield because the cemetery in Oughtibridge was almost completely full.

Heths

Hi

There is also Birtin Cemetery at Oughtibridge

TI - Sheffield Archives: Transcripts and Indexes Collection

RefNo TI/37

Title Birtin Cemetery Oughtibridge

Description Index of graves, including plot map showing plots with and without gravestones.

Angela

Which School

Thank you once again trying help with my brickwall.

I read the newspaper article with interest and will add this which I have remembered...

Whilst in Nottingham in 2016 we did a day trip to Oughtibridge to have a look around the Church of Ascension . Whilst there a chap living next to the church asked us if we was looking for someone in particular and produced a folder with names and plot locations that he had done himself. William & Elizabeth were not on his list, although William's parents (my 2GG parents Joseph & Matilda and 4 siblings) were. My other 2GG parents Christopher & Mary Hague were also on it, we found both graves. But if I remember correctly there was 1 Elizabeth Ibbotson aged 57 but with the wrong year. Does the newspaper article have a bearing?

We then went to Birtin cemetery. The groundsmen were on site and let me have a look at the register of Ibbotson's, William & Elizabeth were not on it. Although there son's Herbert & George are, and we found there graves. I am now aware but was not at the time that there daughter Jane (Ibbotson) Parkin is also there.

Very strange!!

Re: Which School

Hi David et al,
Perhaps the one Elizabeth Ibbotson you found with the wrong death year is your Elizabeth.
According to the GRO records there is a death for:
ELIZABETH IBBOTSON
Death registered: June quarter/1898 WORTLEY age 57

this death also appears as such on Family Search.
HAPPY HUNTING :sleuth_or_spy:

Re: Ibbotson of Oughtibridge and Sheffield

Hi Wendy

My Elizabeth was born 2 Dec 1844 and died 6 April 1893 so should have been 53/4. And for some reason I ruled out the 57 one, but I could be wrong? Looking at the death cert again it could read 57 and not 54. What do you think Elaine?

Hi David/Wendy.

I have Elizabeth Ibbotson on FreeBMD as......

Deaths Jun 1898
Ibbotson Elizabeth 57 Wortley 9c 183
which gives her a birth year of 1841......

I have....
SWAIN, ELIZABETH FAIREST
GRO Reference: 1844 D Quarter in OF THE ECCLESALL BIERLOW UNION Volume 22 Page 120

No baptismal records her parents in Loxley Cong Chapel graveyard.
William & Charlotte Swain nee Fairest.

The NBI for an Elizabeth.

IBBOTSON, Elizabeth (, died on ?, at the age of 56).
Resided at Oughtibridge and buried on 22 Apr 1892 in ? ground;
Grave Number ?, Section ? of Church of Ascension Cemetery, Oughtibridge.

Could the record be wrong 1898 not 1892???

Have we cracked it David??

Just William's burial now.

Deaths Mar 1887
*Ibbotson William ( 46)???44 Sheffield 9c 252
Rockingham St on death cert.
William was born in Bradfield/Oughtibridge.
IBBERSON, WILLIAM HOBSON
GRO Reference: 1843 J Quarter in WORTLEY UNION Volume 22 Page 685
Parents Joseph & Matilda Ibbotson nee Hobson.

The Ibbotsons are thick on the ground around Sheffield and they all call their kids the same names Arrggghhhhh. LOL.

Elaine.

Which School

Hi Elaine

I know for some reason I ruled her out but I can't remember why!! But I have to except it seems right, but I wonder why William is not there!!

Would really like to take a trip back and have another check but don't think it's going to happen at the moment.

Keep safe everyone.

Morning Dave,

What we really need is access to the Churches burial records which will be at Sheffield Archives.

They will be closed but I wonder if they would accept an email request for a look up.

I will leave that with you.

You need the actual date of Elizabeth's burial. Which we know is 1898 not 1892. Was it just miss transcribed from the Churches records.

William is a different matter... Needs more research.
He could have been ill for months and he did have a large family.If they were very short of money, and as he died in Sheffield would he have been buried by the City (paupers grave). (Burngreave or City Road)??

Deaths Mar 1887
Ibbotson William 46 Sheffield 9c 252
I have checked our records......:cry:

I just can't zero in on him.

Elaine.

PS Birton Cemetery from my notes didn't open until 1905 so wouldn't be the place of burial. Am I correct Angela?????

PPS. Is this just a coincidence.......

IBBERSON, William (, died on ?, at the age of 81).
Resided at Sheffield,Rockingham St and buried on 16 Aug 1846 in ? ground;
Grave Number ?, Section ? of Sheffield Parish Church Cemetery, City Centre.

Same address. Your Williams father was Joseph. Grandfather John.

On FMP there is a William Ibbotson buried St Philips in 1885, abode, Smithfield aged 44.

The 1881 has the family living on Dun St which is a stones throw from St Phillips.

I note that in 1891, Elizabeth and some of the siblings are living 'out in the stick' so to speak.

Have you considered that he was buried in Sheffield without the rest of the family?

Just to add the Cathedral burials ended 1857 if I am correct??

Elaine.

Hi Elaine

I have emailed Sheffield Archives asking if they would check there register. I will re-post if & when they respond.

https://www.familysearch.org/records/images/image-details?creator=Burngreave%20Cemetery%20(Brightside,%20Yorkshire)&rmsId=TH-1961-40910-6149-0&imageIndex=806&singleView=true

Here's the start of March 1887 burials for Burngreave, I had a quick scan up to mid April, but couldn't see anything, worth another look though.

Hi Elaine, David et al,
Have you considered burials on a family farm..??
If I have the correct family with Joseph and Matilda as parents, they appear, for the most part, to have lived on a farm.
In 1861 we see Matilda aged 59, widow, along with 4 of her children and one employee, on a 50 acre farm at Hollins Hill, Bradfield.
Sons Joseph and George eventually ended up being farmers.
In 1871 George and possibly Joseph, appear to still be running the same farm as one of George's son's was born at Hollin Hill.

By 1891 we see Joseph and George both farmers at Haggstones Oughtybridge, Bradfield.
So there could be a possibility for William and possibly Elizabeth to be buried on the family farm, regardless of where they died.

HAPPY HUNTING:sleuth_or_spy:

Morning Wendy,

Good idea but I honestly don't know if that was legal in the UK at that time. (i.e. 1887-1898)

I know here in North American you see family plots on farms but I honestly can not recall any being mentioned in Sheffield. Thats not to say it wasn't done.

The Municipal cemeteries had already been started by their death dates. I still think they are either at Bradfield or Oughtibridge. I wouldn't be surprised if there was a small chapel out in Oughtibridge and that they may have been buried in their graveyard. Records still to be transcribed etc.

It is the correct family by the way.

Elaine in Ottawa.

Hi Elaine,

In addition to the church there was a Congregational chapel, a Wesleyan chapel and a Wesleyan Reform chapel in Oughtibridge. Plus a Wesleyan Methodist chapel at Wharncliffe Edge. I don’t know if any of those have / had graveyards though, maybe someone local can advise?

Heths

Hi All

Wendy, yes you are correct about the family & farms. Joseph & Matilda ARE in the Church of Ascension, there son Joseph his wife Angelina & there son John Thomas are also there.

Sorry Elaine, I have been up in the loft!!!! I can remember bying some floppy discs (remember them) a long way back, I did not find them but I did find a CD which I copied them to. It included the Church of Ascension burials 1843-1942. It does list Elizabeth Ibbotson but with the date & age that we are questioning to be wrong?. It also lists her first son Albert 1868 aged 2. There are no plot numbers so not sure if they are together. But still no William

Hi David & my trusted lady researchers.......Sorry guys you can join us any time you like. LOL.

Remember when I found.........

IBBERSON, William (, died on ?, at the age of 81).
Resided at Sheffield,Rockingham St and buried on 16 Aug 1846 in ? ground;
Grave Number ?, Section ? of Sheffield Parish Church Cemetery, City Centre.

Same address. Your Williams father was Joseph. Grandfather John.

I went back to look at our 1841 census index. I entered Rockingham Street as the address and no name.

The above William was not there........

BUT what maybe of interest for you Dave was the HOBSON family. Your Williams mother was a HOBSON (Matilda)The head of the Rockingham Street family in 1841 was a Samuel Hobson aged 30. A File Cutter as was William.
Your Matitlda Hobson was born 1802.

Is there a link between Matilda & Samuel??????

I went looking for William IBBERSON on the 1841 census my aged head is telling me its bed time. :wink:

I will check again tomorrow.

Elaine.

Elaine

I have a christening document for Matilda Hobson 7 Feb 1802 to Joseph Hobson (filesmith) & Elizabeth. I think Elizabeth was a Hives.

Will look into it further and let you know.

Elaine.

Morning,

This is what I worked from.

*IBBERSON, WILLIAM HOBSON
GRO Reference: 1843 J Quarter in WORTLEY UNION Volume 22 Page 685

Mothers name Hobson.

irst name(s) Matilda
Last name Hobson
Birth year -
Baptism year 1802
Baptism date 07 Feb 1802
Baptism place Sheffield, Cathedral Church of St Peter & St Paul
Dedication St Peter & St Paul
Denomination Anglican
Father's first name(s) Joseph
Father's last name -
Mother's first name(s) Elizth
County Yorkshire (West Riding)
Country England

Hope that is correct.

Elaine.

Hi Elaine

Bad news!!! Just recieved email from Sheffield Archives. The 1892 Elizabeth is NOT my Elizabeth. The grave book MI shows that her husband was Joseph who died 1881.....back to the drawing board!!!!

PS. I have asked if they can check Albert's MI to see if it say's anything.