Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Sheffield Inquest Newspaper Article

I have the death certificate of my father's father which states that there was an inquest after his death.
As I no longer subscribe to Ancestry could someone please look to see if there was a newspaper article regarding the inquest please.
Deceased: John Henry Eaton
Died : 30th. January 1949 Winter Street Hospital
Address: 68 Outram Road, S2
Cause of Death : Silico Tuberculosis
Certificate Received from Coroner of Sheffield
Inquest held : 31st. January 1949

Regards,
Marlene C.

Re: Sheffield Inquest Newspaper Article

I've looked on the newspaper section of Find my Past and couldn't see anything about John Henry Eaton

Thank you Susan, it's much appreciated.
He's listed in the Burials on here and, the others in the same grave have "university" next to their names, they were all buried around the same date too, strange.

Regards,
Marlene C.

"University" in this case may imply the Medical School and some of these individuals may have been used for medical education and/or research.

This may not be relevant, but there was active research going on in Sheffield at the time into silico-tuberculosis. Googling found this article from Novemver 1949 in the British Medical Journal:

Mortality and survival rates in males with silicosis or silico-tuberculosis

by H. Midgley Turner and W. J. Martin

(Midgley was Chief Physician, Sheffield Regional Hospital Board, and Lecturer in Tuberculosis, Sheffield University)

Although the article doesn't mention the term, I think silico-tuberculosis is what used to be known in the Sheffield trades as grinders' lung.

Hugh

Thank you for the explanation Hugh, I thought that may be the case.
This person I suspect being my paternal grandfather but, nothing is known about him after he placed my father in the Sheffield Workhouse in 1923 then discharging him to a couple who subsequently "adopted" him, no documentation.
According to his death certificate John Henry Eaton was an "edge tool grinder" which fits into your explanation about "grinder's lung".
My maternal family were mainly dry stone fork grinders and this is the cause of death on many on their death certificates. My maternal grandfather was also a dry stone fork grinder who worked for his father from age 13 until his death age 73, quite remarkable to survive the squalid conditions for so long, I used to watch him astride his "hoss" at J.H. Dickinsons Cutlers Guernsey Road, Heeley.
Thanks again Hugh.

Regards,
Marlene C.

Hi Marlene,

You said nothing was known about him after 1923.
In case you don’t have it, in the 1939 census he was an edge tool grinder, living at 68 Outram Rd with a Thomas and Annie Siddall.

Heths

Hi Heather,
Thank you for this information.
This is the address on his death certificate in 1949.
I seem to recall that Siddall could have been his sister's married name, doing it from memory now as I no longer have Ancestry.
He seemed to "live with people" rather than having a fixed address through his life.
I was hoping there would have been a newspaper report of the inquest, I wonder why there was an inquest in the first place, it seems a natural cause of death in those days.

Thanks everyone again.

Regards,
Marlene C.

Hi

It might be worth you contacting Sheffield Archives - archives@sheffield.gov.uk

It says they have details of coroner’s registers 1926-1974 and inquest files 1940-1974. So with any luck they might have some details for you.

Carol

Hi Marlene,

Maybe he hadn’t been to his doctor about it for a while? Even if it’s a common cause of death, they have to do an inquest if the deceased hasn’t been seen by a doctor within so many days prior to their death. In the case of my late father, he’d been discharged from hospital for palliative care at home, with a do not resuscitate order. The hospital had asked his GP to visit, but the GP was away and the locum failed to call round. When dad finally passed away it was just over 2 weeks since he’d been discharged, and a few months since he’d seen his own GP. It was therefore passed to the coroner to decide if an inquest was needed, even though the death was totally expected and the hospital had only given him a week to live.

Heths

Hi Carol,

That's a good suggestion, thank you.

Regards,
Marlene C.

Hi Heather,
Yes, I did think about that.
Ironically, my father John Henry Eaton's son (we think) also hadn't seen his G.P. and he was found dead in bed but, after a Post Mortem revealed he'd died of lung cancer it was sufficient without an inquest. I don't know the criteria for requesting an Inquest.
Sorry to hear about your father, sad for you to have to go through all that.

Regards,
Marlene C.