Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Gaston L G Godefroid

The above person was born circa 1893 in Belgium but FMP for Belgium births only goes up to 1890 I was wondering if Ancestry have Belgium births for past 1890 and if so would someone be willing to see if there is any info on him please?

Regards

John

Re: Gaston L G Godefroid

Hi John,

Have you tried Family Search?

Elaine.

Instant Messenger: Skype

Yes Elaine only marraiges showing up no birth I am afraid looks like it will have to be a certificate purchase.

John,

I think that you might have already seen him in the 1939 register and you need to verify some details?

In case you didn't yet, it says Gaston Leopold Godefroid born 4 July 1893, of 28, Bawtry Road, Sheffield, Drop Forge Maintenance Foreman, married to Elizabeth Ellen Godefroid (b. 3 January 1890).

FMP has a burial record for 14 May 1959 in Tinsley. It's a handwritten record, and I think that it clearly says Gaston Leopold Ghislain Godefroid of 86 Ferrers Road Tinsley, though the OCR transcription got confused and unhelpfully calls him "Goston Lisfield" Ghislain Godefroid.

Cheers,

Andrew.

Thank you Andrew, yes I have seen the 1939 directory and the burial details for him at Tinsley. He must have been buried at Tinsley Church as I have not found his details of it at Tinsley Park Cemetery mind you, I could have had a senior moment and missed it.

John,

Can't blame you for the odd senior moment now and then, I get plenty of those already.

I reckon you must be right about him being buried at the Church in Tinsley, the record in FMP is from the register of burials in the parish of Tinsley 18/03/1950 to 17/01/1967, which was created by the Church of England, St Lawrence's Parish, Tinsley according to the National Archives.

I just did a quick web search, and the Belgian state archives say that some of their records (if more than 100 years old) are available on line for free if you register with their website. They haven't scanned everything yet though. Worth a try?

https://search.arch.be/en/
http://arch.arch.be/index.php?l=en&m=genealogist

Cheers,

Andrew