Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
lost relative

Hi,
I have come to a standstill on one family line and wonder if anyone can help please?

I have Caroline Ashton, born around 1821, some 1841, 1852 say born London, 1861 said Hull. She married a John Bishop Hadfield in Sheffield in July in 1838. The marriage Cert says father is Thomas. I looked and couldn't be sure it was a Thomas.

I want to find her parents but so far no luck at all.

Any help appreciated.

Re: lost relative

I think the London connection is a different one. The marriage certificate shows Caroline's father as fishmonger so more likely to be from Hull.
If you look at the family from the 1851 census they are living with the Heaton family - I think this Caroline is a Heaton. More research to do.

Hi Sarah,

At the moment the only thing I can come up with is from the directories on
this site:
Whites Directory 1837.
Ashton Thomas (fishmonger)
Address: 72 Wicker.

Moira.

It likely that Kezia Heaton on the 1851 is Caroline's sister-in-law (john's sister), there is a marriage in 1835 on FMP in Sheffield between John Eaton (sic) and Kezia Hadfield.

The children of John and Caroline on the census when run through the GRO gives mmn as Ashton so that checks out as the right family.

Thanks everyone. I will follow up on your suggestions.

I did actually find a baptism for a Caroline Ashton with the father name of Thomas in 1821, but then also a death record for the same year...