Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Sarah Jane and Elizabeth Ann Bacon

Sarah Jane Bacon was born c 1843/4, Elizabeth Ann born 1847/8 according to the 1851 census (familysearch: https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:SPM7-MZL) living at Albert Street, Rotherham; event place: Kimberworth, Yorkshire,Yorkshire (West Riding), England with parents John and Elizabeth Bacon (not sure about mother's maiden name). I cannot find any birth or baptism records though both daughters were stated as having been born in Sheffield. Has anyone any information on these 2 ladies or indeed their parents, particularly their mother. The father was a wine merchant at one point, but also claimed to be a miscellaneous merchant in later census information.
many thanks. SJ

Re: Sarah Jane and Elizabeth Ann Bacon

From the GRO index it looks like the maiden name was RHODES.

John

Thank you for responding so quickly. Rhodes...I have tried that route, somewhat, and it may still bear fruit; I may have got the wrong Rhodes in Leeds/York. Primarily I am after the baptism/christening of the 2 girls. SJ is my great, great grandmother but I know very little about her. I think I have a photo of her late in life (could be mixed up with her sister in-law, but again virtually no information on her either:sun_with_face: ). All my Yorkshire family lines end in brickwalls (currently at least) very quickly and I am wondering if they were non-conformists belonging to small chapels or similar for whom records are yet to be transcribed.

Hi Sarah,

John Bacon of Sheffield married Elizabeth Rhodes, 7 April 1842 at St Martin,
Coney Street, York. There is an image on FMP but it is very feint and blurred.

Sheffield Independent, 16 April 1842.
Marriages.
On Thursday week, at York, Mr John Bacon, of Sheffield, to Elizabeth, eldest
daughter of the late Mr James Rhodes, of Leeds.

It looks like your Leeds/York connection is correct.

As yet I have not found any baptisms for Sarah Jane or Elizabeth Ann.

Moira.

The mother Elizabeth died in 1886. Newspaper says:
BACON - Dec 25, at her residence, 232 Ecclesall road, Elizabeth, widow of John. Bacon, wine merchant, Rotherham, aged 73.

What a sad Christmas that must have been.
Heths

Move on to next page, and the FMP image has been redone and is clearer.
7th April 1842 at St Martins, Coney Street , York - by licence.

John Bacon, Full age. Bach. Clerk. Abode - Sheffield. Father = William Bacon, Gentleman

married

Elizabeth Bacon. Full age. Spin. Abode = Coney Street. No father is given.

Witnesses: Joseph ?Flick?, William Whiteley, Ellen Rhodes.

Anne

Wow, I am very impressed with all your quick reactions and helpfulness. Thank you very much. I will continue looking for the baptisms. :cocktail: