Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Murder on Pinstone Street Sheffield

Hi I am looking for information on a murder which was a Butcher on Pintsone Street George Sandys he murdered his wife Mary 28 Dec 1832 in his Butchers shop
I am related to Mary.

George was charged with the murder in March 1833 & was sent to the Criminal Lunatic Asylam York.
Mary married George Sandys 6 Oct 1824 Doncaster he died in York Dec 1846

I would be grateful on any information on this murder.

Thank You
Jenny

Re: Murder on Pinstone Street Sheffield

Hi Jenny

will send you the details to your email address (if I can)...

Jenny

Jennifer,

You’ve likely received all of the information from Jenny … but for those who’re interested, here’s a bit of information from the press and FMP.

When George Sandys did the murder lot of people ran to the shop, and one “little broad-set woman” went into the shop and held Mary Sandys’ head. When threatened by George Sandys this woman said “stab me then” - brave woman and I take my hat off to her. Everyone had nothing but good words to say about Mary Sandys, who was apparently very understanding and patient with her husband. They described George Sandys as violent, passionate, and frequently drunk, and hanging about with “bad women”. It looks like he had some delusions as well, because at various times in the past he’d had episodes where he asked various people about all the soldiers around and why the Earl of Wharncliffe was shouting orders (nobody else could see any soldiers or the Earl at these times…). They’d had to put a straightjacket on him for a while the preceding year, and he generally went funny in the run up to Christmas by all accounts. The inquest found a verdict of wilful murder and he was sent for trial at the spring assizes in York, being detained in York Castle to wait for trial. (Sheffield Independent - Saturday 05 January 1833).

At the trial he was found not guilty by reason of insanity.

The Criminal Lunatics Act 1800 gave courts the power to detain someone indefinitely after they’d committed a crime but been found not guilty because of insanity, if the court thought that the person was still dangerous. That’s what they did with George Sandys.

According to the reports of his death in 1846, he only spent a “short time” in an asylum (in London somewhere) and spent the rest of time between his conviction and his death being detained in York Castle (there were a few other insane criminals there too). He keeps showing up in list of people detained at the castle until 1846 when he died. Apparently he’d been in declining health, then one day seemed better. A turnkey saw George looking healthy, went away for a few minutes, and then came back to find to him dead. Verdict of the inquest: Death by visitation of God. (Natural causes). (York Herald - Saturday 19 December 1846).

Cheers,

Andrew P.

Hi Jenny
Thank you for all of your information on George Sandys. Mary was my 3x gr grandmother she was married before he was sent too Australia for 7 years never came back & married again after 7 years in Australia to another prisoner.
I am related to this family Mary & her first husband she did not have much luck in marriages.
Thank you for everything it is much appreciated
Jenny

Hi Andrew.
Thank you for for the information you sent me it has given me some answers which was missing in my research
Jenny

Jennifer Clarke
Hi Andrew.
Thank you for for the information you sent me it has given me some answers which was missing in my research
Jenny
Thank you Jenny & Andrew for the information you have sent me it has answered some of my questions what I was looking for.

Jenny Clarke