Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
John Douglas Newman Born June qtr 1832

G'day,

I can't find his marriage to Ann and 1861 Census.

I've found what I think is him on Census for 1871 living in Furnace Hill and a Scissor Grinder.
On the 1881 Census he's in the South Yorkshire Lunatic Assylum, File Cutter
On the 1891 Census he's in the Sheffield Union Workhouse, File Cutter.

I tend to think these last 2 Census is him as scissor grinder cant be much of a leap to a file cutter.

He has a daughter Ann about 1860 and I can't find any other children.
He's dead by 1917 in Sculcotes. I'm not certain thats right because if he was that crook in 1881 and then in a work house I can't imagine he was going to live another 30 years.

I've tried Douglas, John, Newton and various spellings without success.

His father is Abraham Newton of Grindle Street & Cooper Street. He was a scissor grinder and beer house proprietor.

Can anyone suggest any directions for me to look in please?

Cheers
Leisa

Re: John Douglas Newman Born June qtr 1832

Hi Leisa,

Marriage 20 October 1854, Sheffield Parish Church.
John Newton, 23, B, Grinder of Lambert St, father, Abraham Newton, Grinder.
Ann Warriner, 22, S, of Lambert St, father, John Warriner, Policeman.
Witnesses: Caroline Merrill and John Kirk.

Moira.

Leisa
A switch from scissor grinder to file cutter is highly unlikely.
Dave

Leisa,

There is a baptism record on this site for John Douglas Newton, so you can at least find his precise date of birth thanks to the good old Sheffield Indexers (Born 13 April 1832 baptised 17 June 1832).

I think that he shows up with his parents in Copper St. in the 1841 census, then flies under the radar for a couple of decades before showing up just round the corner in Furnace Hill like you said.

Furnace Hill and Copper St. were heavily infested with my ancestors for many decades, in fact my grandmother was born in Copper St., but that’s of no use to you!

Even if it’s not your John Newton in the Asylum/Workhouse 1881/1891 you’ve still got a good point about his life expectancy. Many grinders had short lives because of “grinder’s asthma” or silicosis from all the swarf they breathed in.

Cheers,

Andrew.

Hi Leisa et al,
Have you checked out the burials for John and Ann Newton on this website (S.I.) Showing John dying in 1890 and Ann in 1874.
It could be your John but the address where he died is puzzling.
1841 Census has already been covered(John is still at home with Abraham et al on Copper Street.
1851 Census I believe it is your John Newton age 20, unmarried,scissor grinder, boarding with the Fox family.
1861 Cannot find him
In 1871 he is already married to Ann Warriner (thank you Moira) with them are his daughter Ann age 11, a 15 year old apprentice and a lodger who is a scissor grinder.
John's wife, Ann I think dies in 1874.
In 1881- John is at Trinity Street, Sheffield, age 48, married, scissor grinder. With him is his wife..??? Agnes age 38 born Sheffield..??? plus three children, ages 12, 6, and 1.
John remarries in 1885 Sheffield to Agnes Rhodes ( I am unsure if this is her maiden name or if she has been married before)
John I think dies in 1890.

1891 Census,Furnace Hill, Sheffield- Agnes Newton is 43, widowed, birthplace, Cardiff, Wales..?? with her is daughter Elizabeth age 16 and a son, William age 9, also with her are two boarders and one visitor. One of the boarders is a George Rhodes age 26 (1865).
Two of the Newton..?? children, I think have the maiden name GRANT but the birth dates are a little off. (Ref: GRO).
Ref: for census: Family Search.
HAPPY HUNTING:sleuth_or_spy:

Just to add to the info that Wendy found, here is the marriage.

27 August, St George, Sheffield.
John Newton, 52, Widower, Grinder of Trinity St. father, Abraham Newton, grinder (Dec).
Agnes Rhodes, 42, Widow of Trinity St. father, John Durnall, gardener (Dec).
Witnesses: William Haygarth and Elizabeth Birchill.

Moira.

G'day everyone,

Thank you for your assistance. I have found him on the 1861 census living in Bury Lancashire with wife Ann, 2 kids and brother William. William was orphaned very young and packed off to a school/orphanage set up. John is listed as a mechanical grinder so assume thats not a leap from his usual position. The only thing not fitting is Bury Lancashire.

I'll look at the second marriage details much closer later today and no doubt will come back with any questions.

I do search the records on this site before I post a question. I just could not find these details you kindly provided.

I've got copies of parish records and could not find them on there either - hence posting the question.

cheers
Leisa

G'day,

I have John's baptism already.

Silicosis was pretty deadly - my grandfather died from it. He was a gold miner up in the goldfields of Western Australia. It was called "miners complaint". The coal miners get "black death" which is the same but coal dust and bakers get it too but not aware of any colloquial name for it.

cheers
Leisa

Thank you for the marriage details Moira. I could not find them on this site and nothing is popping up on Ancestry either.

cheers
Leisa

G'day Wendy

Thank you for your information.

I've saved the 2 burial records for Ann and John but not sure they are my ancestors. The address does not fit (yet).

I've got the census records you mention which is why I only wrote about the records I am unsure of.

I do have Agnes Rhodes & John Newtons marriage index now so thank you for finding that.

With the varying information on children in the census's Ive searched baptisms on here without success.

I now have a bunch of children who's parents are questionable ha ha

Isabella B 1852 (parents married 1854 but yet to find marriage record document)
Rosanne B 1859
Edward B 1869
Elizabeth B 1875
Emily B 1880

I find it a bit of a stretch there are such big gaps in births. I'm not convinced these are correct.

Will keep searching and see what turns up later.

cheers
Leisa

Hi Leisa,

Keep in mind it is FMP that have been given permission from Sheffield Archives to film the material for Sheffield Churches etc. More to be competed probably after Covid is out of the way.

Elaine in Ottawa.

Instant Messenger: Skype

Thank you Elaine, however I don't have an FMP account and only use Ancestry and I wont be getting another ancestry account either.

cheers
Leisa

Having lived in Sheffield in my youth I seem to remember a disease known as Grinders Lung, which could be a colloquial name.