Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Grave allocations

Can someone explain why several members of my family are in a grave with two strangers. I cannot find any link with the two. Did the council run out of space so then allocated graves to others?

Re: Grave allocations

Susan,
can you tell us which grave please?
Dave

Grave Number 9144, Section T of City Road Cemetery, Sheffield.

Susan, please give us a name. The system does not allow to search for grave number.
Dave

Hi Dave, I don't need to know about who is in the grave - what I need is an explanation of why there are strangers in the grave. Was it usual to allocate graves to other people if the grave wasn't full?

Susan, there may be different reasons. If I can see the specific information about burial dates etc it may be possible to speculate. Just need the surname of anyone in the grave
Dave

Beatrice Duty and some Hibberts

Hi Susan

It was common practice for those who couldnt afford the cost of a Private family grave.

For those who didnt fall into the Private grave category there were only 2 other options:

a 'Public' (or Paupers) grave for many, for those who couldnt afford a grave .

Or, for those who had some funds, they could purchase grave space, which was limited to a certain number of burials (as opposed to the many in a public grave) - and allowed them to have the option of a marked stone.

Denise