Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Gillott Family - Burials

Hi,

Thanks for this fantastic resource, its been great help to me researching my family tree, much appreciated!

I'm looking for some assistance/guidance trying to track down burials for Farewell(1937) and Harriett Ann Gillot (1946) - and their family.
They lived on Gillot Rd, Sheffield at the time of their passing and looked as though they spent most of their life in the area.
The nearest church is Wadsley, but looks as though burials were ceased in early 1900's, this church was used for many family baptism and marriages.

I cant find anything on FreeReg, Ancestry or FindmyPast either, so I'm at a complete loss as to where they may be buried.

Does this site cover all burial sites in Sheffield? Are there any external resources I could be looking at that may help me locate them?

Thanks in advance for any assistance you can offer :)

Re: Gillott Family - Burials

It looks like Farewell's father was Sexton at St Nicholas Bradfield and was buried there in 1883.
Suggest you start there.
Dave

Hi Chris,

The problem with burials and especially fairly recent ones such as yours, is that most of the Church Burials were transcribed about 15-20 years ago by S&DFHS. I believe the cut off date was about 1910. I am sure we have not covered all burials grounds in the last 16 years.

TRy *Find a grave. site.*https://www.findagrave.com/cemetery

Lots of Gillotts in the Bradfield/Ecclesfield area.

Have you tried contacting City Road Cemetery they maybe able to help with the more recent Municipal Burials.
Bereavement Services.

Elaine in Ottawa.

Instant Messenger: Skype

Elaine in Ottawa
Hi Chris,

The problem with burials and especially fairly recent ones such as yours, is that most of the Church Burials were transcribed about 15-20 years ago by S&DFHS. I believe the cut off date was about 1910. I am sure we have not covered all burials grounds in the last 16 years.

TRy *Find a grave. site.*https://www.findagrave.com/cemetery

Lots of Gillotts in the Bradfield/Ecclesfield area.

Have you tried contacting City Road Cemetery they maybe able to help with the more recent Municipal Burials.
Bereavement Services.

Elaine in Ottawa.
Ah that why I cant find it then!
Looking at the Church website they actually had burials up till 1950s so good chance is they are there, but no records of these burial online presumably.

Are there any plans to expand on the indexing of the graveyards beyond the existing dates?

Farewell Gillott buried at Bradfield 11th Nov 1937 aged 70y.
This is from Find My Past. He was transcribed as Gillatt.

Anne

If you check with S&DFHS I think I noted they had completed some more recent burials.

You can purchase their CD's from GenFair

https://genfair.co.uk/supplier/

We are always transcribing but with the Covid19 shut downs we have no access to material that has been deposited at Sheffield Archives.

BUT... it does take time to transcribe so don't hold your breath for that particular cemetery. Plug ..... we can always use volunteers........:sunglasses:

Think I have some very distant Gillots in my tree...... will check them out.

Elaine in Ottawa.

Instant Messenger: Skype

as Anne has indicated,FMP has the burial of Farewell in 1937 at Bradfield St Nicholas. Again from FMP, Harriett Ann is buried at Bradfield St Nicholas in 1947. The two records show they are in the same grave number NW E2.
The same source has Farewell's father burial, the sexton, in 1883. Unfortunately that record has no grave number.
It may be worth looking for a headstonew, if anyone local feels inclined.
Dave

Anne
Farewell Gillott buried at Bradfield 11th Nov 1937 aged 70y.
This is from Find My Past. He was transcribed as Gillatt.

Anne
Legend, thank you!
Thought it may have picked that up with name variations enabled!

Hi

There is a Monumental Inscription at Bradfield for this family.

Grave F76

In Loving Memory of FAREWELL beloved husband of HARRIETT ANN GILLOTT who passed away November 7th 1937. Also HARRIETT ANN GILLOTT who died November 2nd 1946. Reunited. In Loving Memory of IDA and PERCY GALE daughter and son-in-law, BRIAN and GARY grandchildren who were killed by enemy action at Exeter May 3rd 1942.

Angela

Chris,

Ida and Percy Gale (and their children and other family members) disappeared on 2 May 1942 when their house was bombed during a "Baedeker raid" which destroyed much of Exeter. It looks like they hadn't been found by the time of an initial inquest on 20 July 1942. (Western Morning News - Tuesday 21 July 1942) Some unidentified victims were buried in the Higher Cemetery, Exeter.

Getting back to a happier day, and to the Sheffield area, Ida Gillott (6th daughter of Farewell Gillott) married Drum Major Percy Gale (from Exeter) on 23 December 1931. They got some nice gifts from the Sergeants' Mess (Royal marine Barracks, Plymouth) and Ida had a white satin gown and a bouquet of pink roses. (Sheffield Daily Telegraph - Thursday 24 December 1931).

Farewell's youngest daughter, Elsie Harriett, married Harry Ramsden (but not THAT Harry Ramsden I think) in Christ Church, Wadsley Bridge on 29 August 1931 (Sheffield Independent - Monday 31 August 1931).

His daughter Gladys married Bombardier George Peck (from Surrey) in Wadsley Bridge Church on 1 July 1919 Her brother, Lance Cpl A Gillott was best man. (Sheffield Daily Telegraph - Wednesday 02 July 1919).

Incidentally, L/Cpl Gillott had spent a lot of time in France during WW1 and survived various wounds, including some severe ones (Sheffield Daily Telegraph - Monday 06 August 1917).

Farewll's seventh daughter, Mabel, married in Christ Church, Wadsley Bridge on 14 August 1929, the groom being Albert Edward Godber, a local boy. Mabel had a white georgette dress with silk trimmings, and a bouquet of carnations. (Sheffield Independent - Thursday 15 August 1929).

In 1898 Farewell was sued by an undertaker, for the value of a coffin (£4/8s/0d) for his wife's grandmother, who had also been the undertaker's step-mother and who'd selected a nice oak coffin for herself a few weeks before she died. Farewell said it wasn't him who'd ordered the coffin, and he'd already had to put his hand in his pocket for the funeral tea, the passing bell, and some drinks for the bearers. He lost the case anyway and likely had to shell out for the coffin as well. (Exeter Flying Post - Saturday 09 April 1898).

Sorry if you knew all this stuff already - like you said, Farewell Gillott is a good name to research.

Cheers,

Andrew P.

Some really interesting things in there, I've not got access to newspapers so its nice to see it described.

Elsie and Harry are my great grand parents and no its not that Harry :)

The story of Ida and Percy is very sad, I have managed to find a photo of what I believe to be their wedding day amongst some old family albums.

Are you related in any way to this family or just looking out of curiosity

thank you for taking the time to write this out.

Hi

I'm not related but I do have a copy of the Bradfield Monumental Inscriptions.

Angela

Chris,

Because of the current situation we're not allowed to use the cafeteria so I looked those things up while stuffing my face with pizza at my desk.

I don't think that I'm a relative, though my second cousin five times removed, Esther Oates (1826-1910), married a William Gillott in 1848. William went on to win 12/6 for "best cottager's pig, the owner not occupying more than half an acre of land" in the 1854 Stannington and Loxley farmer's club meeting, so I reckon she'd made a good choice of husband.

Cheers,

Andrew P.