Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Burial place for Amelia Chambers

Hi I'm looking for the burial place of my 3x Great Grandmother Amelia Chambers she died in Sheffield July 1867 in 1861 She was married to George Chambers and their family were living at Normanton Springs.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Regards
Christine

Re: Burial place for Amelia Chambers

Hi Christine,

Observation.

Deaths Sep 1867
Chambers Amelia 47 Sheffield 9c 277

Do you have her death cert. It will state where she actually died.

I am NOT showing a burial for her in Sheffield.

NOT many placed for burials at that date. Churchyard usually.........

From the census she was from Wath and there looks to be a Handsworth connection as well.

Have you checked those out?

Do you know her religion?

Anyone with the NBI might be able to turn her up if she was buried out of Sheffield.

Elaine in Ottawa.

Instant Messenger: Skype

Burial of their daughter at Gleadless Christ Church 1859 Eliza Chambers age 1 address Normanton Spring. GRO gives birth 1857 Eliza Chambers mmn Potts. George Chambers married Amelia Potts 1849 Sheffield
So it looks like they were Anglican.
Dave

Thank you for your replies

Amelia's first husband Robert Potts was buried at Gleadless Church in 1845, I did notice Eliza buried there also but Amelia's maiden name was Gregg/Craig so don't think Eliza was her daughter.

I also cannot find a burial place for her 2nd husband George Chambers. So he can't help me either.

I don't have her death certificate Elaine, but think that might be the way to go.

In 1871 not certain where George was, but I have found 3 of her children still living at Normanton Springs.

Chris

Christine,
Gro index has a death in Sheffield for George Chambers age 50 in 1869.
Dave

Hi Dave

Thanks for that I had George Chambers as death 1873 age 57 same as 2 others. But feel as he isn't with his 2 youngest children in 1871, the 1869 date is possibly right, I'm not really interested in George, as it's Amelia's first husband Robert Potts that is my line.

Just thought if I could find where he is buried it might lead to Amelia.

Chris

Hi Christine.
Sorry I do not have a burial place for Amelia however, over to the left on this website, there some Gregg family members from Normanton Spring, buried at Intake Cemetery, under the Remarks: it says, purchased from Handsworth Parish.
You will find Robert Gregg died 1891 age 67, I think this is Amelia's brother.

I believe possible parents for Amelia, Robert and Joseph plus maybe a few others, are George GREG(G) and Mary.
The children's baptisms can be found on Family Search and Genuki websites.
HAPPY HUNTING:sleuth_or_spy:

Hi Wendy

Thank you for looking for Amelia's death, I just cannot understand why I cannot find a burial place. I have sent for her death certificate but not certain this will help.

Also thanks for the other information, I did go to Intake cemetery recently to look for Robert's grave, but unfortunately just a large grass section and not many headstones in N area.

He was also a bit of a puzzle to me as most of the Gregg/Craig family were from Intake/Normanton Springs Sheffield or Wath Upon Dearne at Rotherham, but Robert was born at Pointon Cheshire, no idea why they would have gone there. It's all a puzzle!!

Thank you again
Chris

Christine, from geographical considerations it is distinctly possible that Amelia and George could be buried at St Mary Handsworth. For that period those records do not seem to be available on line. However the S&DFHS has transcripts of that church which covers the time period. It can be purchased online for download as Excel or PDF for only £2.95. May I suggest it may be worth buying?
Dave
hey were

Hi Christine,

Do you have anything to prove that Robert was born in Poynton, Cheshire..??
Robert's baptism was on the 3rd June/1827 at Wath upon Dearne. parents Mary and George Greg (only one G). Ref: Family Search website.

HAPPY HUNTING :sleuth_or_spy:

Hi David

Thanks for your reply I already have the Burials for Handsworth Church, and they aren't on the list, I have just got the death certificate today, and Amelia died at Normanton Springs, so still none the wiser.

Chris

Hi Wendy

The don't think I have got anything re his birth, but all the census apart from 1841 have got him born in Cheshire.

1841 Y ( they are in Yorkshire)
1851 Pointon Cheshire
1861 Cheshire Hyde
1871 Cheshire
1881 Cheshire K N
1891 Cheshire K N

I had seen the baptism at Wath and thought it would be him, but just presumed because of the census that his was born in Cheshire.

Got the death certificate for Amelia, and she died at Normanton Springs. Have checked burials again at Gleadless Church and Handsworth Church but still can't see Amelia or George.

Best Wishes
Chris

Hi Christine et al,
It is entirely feasible that Robert was born at Poynton, Cheshire for the following possible reasons:

1. His father George Gregg, was a collier and he may have gone to wherever the mining jobs were in demand. On the Genuki map, Poynton is not too, too far away from Intake/Wath and was probably accessed by rivers and canals. Of interest also, George Gregg was missing on the 1841 census that his wife, Mary(married) and family were on (ref:Family Search) their residence then was Birley Vale, Intake. On the 1851 census Mary is a widow.

2. Robert's obit on S.I. website places his birth at around 1824 but his baptism is 1827 at Wath, so it is possible that all these records for Robert Gregg are for the same person.

I am not familiar with the old Sheffield Intake Village Cemetery on Mansfield Road, or when it came into existence but it is just around the corner from Normanton Hill and you would expect Amelia to be buried there if the time frame of her death in 1867 fits. Other possible cemeteries in the area that may be considered (apart from the ones already mentioned in this thread) are Hackenthorpe and Woodhouse.

Hi Wendy

Thanks for the infomation.

I do have a George Craig buried at Handsworth Church 1840 age 41, I believe this would be
George Gregg, they name seems to have changed from Craig to Gregg, and back to Craig/Craigh
this would have meant that George was born 1799. I have just recently found a George Craig baptised at Sheffield Cathedral in 1799, father Robert Craig. In my head I believe this could be the correct person. Although I cannot find his death on the GRO register.

I am close to Intake Cemetery, and have many family relatives buried there, as you say I do feel that Amelia and George would possibly be buried either there or Woodhouse cemetery, as they are not on Sheffield Indexers burial records, do you have any other suggestions as to how I would find this information please.

Best Wishes
Chris

Hi Christine et al,
I know you are mostly interested in the Potts side of Amelia Gregg/Potts/Chambers but in following up a little on George Chambers family, I think you may want to check up on the family farm which I believe George grew up on.

George pre-deceased(d:1869) his father, Francis Chambers who died in 1874 aged 80years. Registered under Rotherham District.
Francis farmed at Slade Hooton and you can find him on the 1841,51,61,71 census. Ref:Family Search.

My thoughts are, there may have been a burial site on the farm and George and Amelia may possibly be there...??

Hi Wendy

Thank you so much for that information, I will take a look at the Chambers side and have a look at Georges father Francis

Best wishes.
Christine