Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Court Housing in Sheffield

Hi
Could anyone please explain the housing system. For example I have a family living in "Court 3 house 6 Edward Street Sheffield". How many courts could there be in one house? Is it a bit like apartment/tenaments in Glasgow? Is this system only known in Sheffield?
Thanks
Helene

Re: Court Housing in Sheffield

These were "back to back" houses, which were terraces of houses, each sharing 3 party walls. The front wall had the door and windows. The front of the terrace was the main road (Edward Street in your case). The back row of the terrace was divided into courts, rather than there being another street. These courts were accessed by a passage between the houses on the front road, and included the shared toilets etc, The houses in the court were numbered. So yours was house number 6 in court 3. Hope this makes sense. You could "google" it, where you might find examples.

Hi Helene

If you search on google with the text string: back-to-back house floor plan
you will find that there is an interesting article, floor plans and illustrations on Wikipedia

Regards

Leipzig

Thanks very much for that. I visited my aunt and uncle in the 60's in a house like you describe. I can't remember where in Sheffield it was. I know according to the 1939 register they lived at 8 Cross Myrtle. I hadn't appreciated that was likely to be a court so thanks for your help
Helene