Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Birth help

Is there possibly anything that would give the father/parents for Irene Ibbotson,1939 Ernest,1941 & Terrence Ibbotson,1946 all registered Sheffield. FreeBMD is showing mother as Fisher. I'm just wondering before I order a certificate for one of them to clarify.

Re: Birth help

For some strange reason both Ernest and Irene were both reregistered in 1962? No idea why.
Couldn't find Terrance. There are a couple of marriage for Ibbotson/Fisher so a birth certificate for one of the children would help solve which one it could be.

Yes I noticed 1962 and what was noted as late entries. I have them as children of Joseph Mettam Ibbotson & Violet Ada Fisher ( previous post) but not sure its correct becouse cannot find anything else to link them, including on Joseph & Violet's wills which I know have.

Hi David/Sue,

I used the Sheffield Council site and found the following.

District: Sheffield Central
Birth - 13/88
Details: Irene FISHER - 01/01/1939 - (Mother's) Maiden Name: Fisher

District: Sheffield North West
Birth - 12/8
Details: Ernest FISHER - 01/01/1941 - (Mother's) Maiden Name: Fisher

District: Sheffield North West
Birth - 19/67
Details: Terrence FISHER - 01/01/1946 - (Mother's) Maiden Name: Fisher

Two more that I thought were interesting.

District: Ecclesfield
Birth - 119/97
Details: Irene Ada Veronica FISHER - 01/01/1940 - (Mother's) Maiden Name: Jubb

District: Sheffield North
Birth - 43/72
Details: Carol FISHER - 01/01/1945 - (Mother's) Maiden Name: Fisher

I have relatives that didn't register their children at the time of birth as they were NOT married and later registered them once a marriage had taken place. (3 children)

DAVID.....do you have the marriage certificate that you gave me in 1933??? If so does the marriage in 1933 in Oughtibridge match the fathers name for Joseph Mettam say Joe Morton Ibbotson.

Elaine in Ottawa.

Instant Messenger: Skype

What site did you use for that info Elaine, looks interesting.

There were a number of legitimacy acts in 1926, 1959 and 1976 these were introduced to legitimise a child's birth if the parents were not married at the birth of the child. This would result in the births being registered twice.

The Sheffield register office site is: http://libplugins.sheffield.gov.uk/bmd/

Angela

I have just checked my own birth on the link you gave for the Sheffield Library website. All details are correct apart from the date 01/01/ Birth year. I see this date of 01/01 is on all the records you have posted, so is this just a default date, really not meaning anything apart from the year?

Hi Angela,

Hope you and yours are all well and safe.

Thanks for filling us in on those ACTS re Birth Registration.

Dave that gives us another mystery to solve. If the parents were indeed married in 1939
there would have been no need to register the birth the way they did. Thats why I question the marriage in 1933.

Elaine in Ottawa

Thanks for adding the Sheffield register office Website url.

Instant Messenger: Skype

Hi Elaine

No I don't have the 1933 certificate, got it from freeBMD so it could possibly be wrong?but Joseph's probate of 1969 which was intestate does clearly show Violet Ada Ibbotson was his lawful widow, so there was a marriage. Also details in Violet's will show she was a Fisher. I just don't think the children in question are correct!! She would have been 42 when Terrence was born, also Violet's will mentions nothing about children.

Hi all

Marriage 19 April 1933, Church of Ascension Oughtibridge

Joseph Mettam Ibbotson Bachelor, aged 28
to Violet Ada Fisher , Spinster aged 29

Grooms father: Joe Morton Ibbotson
Brides father: Thomas Fisher (deceased)

Denise

Hi

I volunteered at the register office transcribing these indexes and 01/01/**** is a default date, we only entered the year in the index.

Angela