Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Common graves

Hi

I was just looking at burial transcripts on this site using the address search field for Thorp Road. The following is one of the results:

ARDRON, David (Son of ~, age 30 minutes).
Died at 34 Thorp Rd; Buried on February 3, 1956 in Consecrated ground;
Grave Number 6851, Section V2 of City Road Cemetery, Sheffield.
Parent or Next of Kin if Available: ~. Remarks: ~.
Plot Owner: ~ ~ of ~. Page No 32

When I clicked on 'Find similar in same grave' I was astonished to find that there were approximately 373 other burials in the same grave, or more realistically if the information is accurate I can only conclude in effect it was a pit. I do not know much regarding the history of cemeteries, I am aware of common graves and the way many poor people were buried in the same grave in older and Victorian times; but what shocked me was that all of the burials took place between 1952-1956. I would assume that bodies were buried in batches over the 4 year period, perhaps repeatedly digging new graves close to each other to accommodate the next batch of bodies. If correct this would result in grave 6851 occupying a relative large area in the cemetery. As I said, I know little of cemetery history and wondered if anyone had more knowledge of the practices of burying people in this way.

Kind regards

Leipzig

Re: Common graves

Hi Leipzig,

Might I suggest you contact Bereavement Services at City Road and ask the question.

Looking at the search return most are stillborn or infants that lived only days.

Elaine in Ottawa.

Instant Messenger: Skype

Re: Common graves

Hi Elaine

Thank you for your guidance.

Regarding stillborn babies there is a BBC news article at:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-51271977

There is also more detailed information provided by the Sands Stillbirth & neonatal death charity at:
https://www.sands.org.uk/sites/default/files/Long%20Ago%20Bereaved%20LINKED.pdf
Particularly sad is the information on page 16.

Inline with the information from the Sands site, there are 3 adults listed in grave named 6851, Section V2 in City Road Cemetery, Sheffield.

MAXFIELD, Elsie (Spinster, age 65).
Died at 2 Herries Road; Buried on September 26, 1952 in Consecrated ground;

LOCKWOOD, Lily (Widow, age 80).
Died at 60 Whitehouse Road; Buried on November 13, 1952 in Consecrated ground;

BOWNES, Bertie (Retired, age 72).
Died at Royal Infirmary; Buried on March 28, 1955 in Consecrated ground;

Other than the above three persons, there are 33 persons whose ages are recorded as 3 days old or older, of these there are 11 which have ages recorded as 1 week - 5 months.

Not having been personally affected by the trauma of stillbirth, I must admit it is not something I have given much thought to, until now. The way the situation seems to have been dealt with years ago was expedient and unsympathetic.

Kind regards

Leipzig