Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Child death

I am trying to find out if a child at the age of 2yrs would have a grave, the child in question is
Violet Griffin dob 1900 died 1903 parents William Griffin Florence Hodgkinson. I have found a death record for Violet but just wondered if she would have a grave. Her parents are both buried in Darbyshire Lane cemetery. Would just like to know where she would have been buried.

Re: Child death

Hi Marlene

I've found one burial that fits in every detail except one on FMP.

First name(s) Violet
Last name Griffin
Sex Female
Age 2
Birth year 1901 - if her birthday is between June and December then she would have been
born in 1900
Death year 1903
Burial year 1903
Burial date 12 Jun 1903
Burial place Sheffield
Dedication Derbyshire Lane Cemetery, Norton
Residence Back 61 Abbey View Rd
Relative's first name(s) George
Relationship Dau

As you can see, it's says the father's name is George.

Carol

Hi Marlene,

Violet Griffin aged 2yrs, buried 12 June 1903, Derbyshire Lane Cemetery, Norton,
of Back 61 Abbey View Road, daughter of George.

As you can see, the father's name is George not William.

Moira.

George Griffin married Louisa Whitaker ecclesall bierlow 1897. Gro index says they registered Violet in q3 1901, mmn Whitaker.,
Dave

There is another Violet Griffin born 1900 mmn Hodkinson. There is only one death though for a Violet Griffin and that is the one you have all found with father being George.

Hi Marlene et al,
Maybe someone could check out the details of a death in 1900, September qtr. Ecclesall Bierlow. Vol. 9C page 295 (Ref:FBMD)
for VIOLET GRIFFEN age 0. Note spelling EN instead of IN.

I think this may be the Violet(B:1900 June qtr.mmn.Hodgkinson) who died (but not in 1903) with parents William (Robert) Griffin and Florence Hodgkinson.

NOTE: The Violet who died in 1903, should have showed up in 1901 with William and Florrie who were at that time living in the Norton area but she did not.

NOTE: At least 2 of William's brothers moved from Birmingham to Sheffield and all three brothers named one of their children Violet. The only one who was still living in 1911 age 15 belonged to brother Joseph Paul Griffin and as we have learned the Violet who died in 1903 belonged to George Griffin.

HAPPY HUNTING:sleuth_or_spy:

Thank you all I shall be checking this out.

I am still confused with my search for Violet. I now know that there was a

Violet Griffin dob July 1901 - died Apl 1903 child to George Griffin.

Violet Griffin dob Apl 1900 - died July 1900 child to William and Florence is the child I am trying to find.

I have found a grave burial for the first Violet 1901 -1903 but cannot find any record of Violet 1900 - 1900. William and Florence were married in 1900 and according to census 1901 there is no child recorded so presumably Violet must have died? Can you help in my quest to find where she would have been buried.

How sure are you that Violet died in July. I have found this
rst name(s) Violet
Last name Griffin
Age 0
Birth year 1900
Death year 1900
Burial year 1900
Burial date 27 Sep 1900
Church Heeley Christ Church
Denomination Anglican
Place Sheffield

There is a burial for a Violet Griffin aged 4 months on 27 Sep 1900 at Heeley Christ Church address 7 Markham Terrace. It does not say who the father is though.