Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Location of grandparents family home

Good morning

I would very much appreicate if somebody could point me in the right direction to find either a street map for my grandparent's house in Sheffield in the 1920's or even a photographic reference;

the details are; Owner Alfred Gibbon Address 739 City Road Sheffield 2

fingers crossed

Amanda Cooke (grand daughter to Alfred Gibbon

Re: Location of grandparents family home

Hi Amanda, It is on the left hand side going up from town between Windy House Lane and Prince of Wales Road just after the police station. Regards Barry

Thank you for your reply Barry, but I live in Timperley Altrincham Cheshire and I am not familiar with the geography of the inner city of Sheffield.
I was hoping to be be able to find a map for the area on line or perhaps a town planning document for the period of the 1920's.
Would you be able to give me any references, for futher research.
Fingers crossed
Amanda

Hi Amanda,

This is just a start......

https://www.alangodfreymaps.co.uk/acatalog/Sheffield_Area.html

These are great maps. The 1903 Map for Sheffield Park show City Rd but I am not sure if it goes far enough upto cover where your family lived.

My great grandparents lived in the area

If you look over to the left under Site Map you will see we do have a number of Maps on line.

I am sure others will come up with other suggestions.

Elaine in Ottawa.

Instant Messenger: Skype

If you use Google Earth you can come up with the area to give you a general idea. It does look as if 739 might have been demolished.

Elaine in Ottawa.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Sheffield,+UK/@53.3658827,-1.4410794,15z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x48790aa9fae8be15:0x3e2827f5af06b078!8m2!3d53.381129!4d-1.470085?hl=en

Hope this works.....Elaine.

Barry indicated it is on city road just past the ELM TREE POLICE STATION.
OnGoogle mapsstreet view that is eASy to find, and just to the right of it is a block of six terraced houses. They are now walled off from the major road but can be partially viewed from front and via the pedestrian access at the far end.

The address 739 City Road was occupied in 1911 by a Joseph Smith and his 2 sisters and the house is described as 5 room. That would seem to fit to the houses I see there where barry indicated
ELM tree Police finds nothing on Picture Sheffield
Dave

Amanada & DaveT,

Much of that area was demolished making way for Manor Estate not sure when that happened
around the 1920's maybe Could be as late as the '60's. Using Google Earth you can see that they look like newish houses. I believe that area was called Manor Top.

Elaine in Ottawa.

Thank you Elaine, Barry, and Dave for your efforts on my behalf.I very much appreciate your time.
I have used google maps to locate the spot where my grandparent's house would have stood,(the old giving way to the new!) My memories of their house as a tiny child was of something quite dark and opressive with a built up front garden of stone and turf. Not hugely aesthetic but it was their home and where I believe my father was born.
I shall have to delve futher to try to find an earlier photographic reference of their city terrace.
How Sheffield has changed!
I have been bitten by the detective bug, so onwards and upwards! with kind regards

The following link takes you to free to view online maps of Sheffield for different years.

https://www.oldmapsonline.org/en/Sheffield

I have to say that block terrace seems to be in exactly the same place on the 1938 map and even on the 1906 map. I suppose they could have knocked it down and rebuilt an identical sized block and kept the same numbers.
Dave

Hi Amanda, I have emailed a 1960s map page to you which I think may help.
Hope it helps,
Patrick

Amanda Cooke
Thank you Elaine, Barry, and Dave for your efforts on my behalf.I very much appreciate your time.
I have used google maps to locate the spot where my grandparent's house would have stood,(the old giving way to the new!) My memories of their house as a tiny child was of something quite dark and opressive with a built up front garden of stone and turf. Not hugely aesthetic but it was their home and where I believe my father was born.
I shall have to delve futher to try to find an earlier photographic reference of their city terrace.
How Sheffield has changed!
I have been bitten by the detective bug, so onwards and upwards! with kind regards
Amanda
Are you sure your father was born at 739 City Road (which was in the Sheffield registration district)? . He was definitely living there age 14 in 1939. However his birth in 1925 was registered in Ecclesall Bierlow registration district
Do you have his birth certificate?
Dave

Hello Dave
You are absolutely right and thank you for spotting this!
I have managed to unearth my father's birth certificate in which it states that he was born at 32 Union Road UD 1925, so it would seem that City Road was initially my great grand mother's property as she is cited as the owner of 739 upon the registration of my father's birth. Could it be that they moved to City road upon her death and it then became their home?
How fascinating, so now I am on the 'hunt' for no 32!
with kind regards

Amanda,
Have you found the grave in which many of your ancestors are buried? It is in our burials over to the left.
Dave

Dave! Forgive me..I think I have relayed a whole load of nonsense back to you!
Having just been on Google maps, I suspect that 32 Union Road has either been demolished or quite possiblly it was a hospital (as this is what shows on the current Google image) and on my father's birth certificate, the profession of my grandfather lists his business address as being 739 City Road!I must confess I am a tad confused!

Have a look at the map again because Union Road runs both sides of the main road.

Yes around there was Nether Edge Hospital which was demolished some years ago to make was for a housing estate.

John

Hi

32 Union Road was the address for Ecclesall Bierlow Union Workhouse, after 1929 it was renamed Nether Edge Hospital. The workhouse would have a hospital facility.

Angela

If you go on the left and chose site map, then institutions,then workhouses. there is an article on ecclesall union workhouse (nether edge hospital). It gives some information and a map. The archives in Sheffield have ledgers listing all the inmates and dates they were in the workhouse. I found the records of my great grandparents who died in there - only in there for 2 weeks. The ledgers are very informative.

Good morning Dave,John Angela and Christine...a 'group' response!
Thank you for everyone's efforts on my behalf!
In answer to your points..yes, I do have details for my grandparents grave out at Burngreave Cemetry and indeed a photo of their headstone, I have also searched for a little more information via the site/ workhouse link and though I have tried to access the Sheffield Archives for individual records the site is currently under a revamp.
With the information I currently have it would seem that that my father was born within the maternity unit at Union Road and then went 'home' to City Road.
Whislt my grandparents were not affluent, they had previously lived with my great Grandmother in a small house at 16 Burton Road Neepsend, married in 1918 and then 'moved' into City Road where my father and uncle grew up as a family.
I guess what I am trying to say (and hope!), is that my father or indeed my grandparents were not living in the workhouse but used the maternity facilities ..of course I won't be able to confirm this fully until I can access more specific timeframes.
But I am enjoying the 'journey' of discovery about my family's past!
Thank you once again to you all.

you are probably right about them just using the workhouse for the maternity facilities. My great grandparents only went in because they were ill. Workhouses were also used for looking after the ill. The workhouse later became nether edge hospital and I was born there.