Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Joe Morton & Lavina Ibbotson

Joe Morton Ibbotson married Lavina (Lavinia) Mettam 6 May 1903 at Ecclesfield Church. I have 2 children for them Joseph Mettam Ibbotson 1904-1969 & Henry 1906-1969. But the 1911 shows that there were 4 children but 2 died. Does anyone have any baptism record that show all the 4 children for Joe & Lavina.

Also Joseph Mettam Ibbotson married Violet Ada Fisher 19 April 1933 at The Church of Ascension. But I cannot seem to find Violet's death, any help appreciated.

Sorry Henry died 1944

Re: Joe Morton & Lavina Ibbotson

GRO
John Ibbotson and Mary Ibbotson born 1908

Hi

John and Mary Ibbotson were twins because they are registered on the same page

IBBOTSON, JOHN METTAM
GRO Reference: 1908 J Quarter in WORTLEY Volume 09C Page 382
IBBOTSON, MARY METTAM
GRO Reference: 1908 J Quarter in WORTLEY Volume 09C Page 382

Sadly I think they died in the same June quarter

IBBOTSON John 0 Wortley Jun 1908 9c 180
IBBOTSON Mary 0 Wortley Jun 1908 9c 180

I haven't found any baptisms

Sue

On FMP there is a probate record for Violet Ada Ibbotson in 2003.
Dave

Many thanks. Look's like violet lived to a good age

Can't find a death registration on FMP or Scotland People website (unless I missed it) could Violet therefore have died abroad and if so would probate have still been able to be done in Yorkshire?

Probate search shows probate was registered in Leeds. I could purchase it which I assume would answer questions.

FMP has a death reg in Nottingham in 2003 for Edna Violet Ibbotson, birth year 1919. I wonder if that Edna should be Ada. It would not be the first time a person reporting a death got a vital detail wrong. Suggest you look up their children the see if any of them moved to Nottingham.
Dave

Violet's husband Joseph Mettam Ibbotson died 1969 at Hob Lane Farm Oughtibridge. They seem to have had 3 children, Irene 1939, Ernest 1941 & Terrence 1946

In 1939 Joseph and Violet are living at Hobb Lane Farm Violet's dob is given as Sept 13 1903.If this is true then it is not the correct probate.

Not found a death yet but there is a probate in Lancashire for a Violet Ibbottson for 2004 and the death was recorded in 1996 or

could they have divorced and then Violet have remarried using the surname Fisher?

There seems to be electoral register links for Joseph Mettam Ibbotson at Hob Lane Farm between 1949 - 1959 with some showing Lavina ?

There is a death notice for Violet Ada Ibbotson in The Tulsa world Oklahoma USA with a death date of 13 March 2003. Thats the same death date for the English probate record for Violet Ada Ibbotson....bit of a coincidence, did she go abroad ??

David, that looks likely. you should look for marriages of her children to see if they travelled to usa.
Dave

Think Irene married Terrence E Stedman. Record of death Worksop 2016

I have recieved info from USA that the Oklahoma death notice gave very little information, only that she was 99, which would link.

David, congrats. Problem solved. The original of the probate should be worth buying.
Presumably she was still a UK citizen with assets, and possibly a will, in UK. So probate here would make sense.
Dave

Joseph Mettam Ibbottson also left a will in the sum of £16000 perhaps that might show if anyone of the family were in the USA at the time.

I have sent for the English probate/will for Violet Ada Ibbotson. will update when received.

I can confirm the Oklahoma Violet Ada Ibbotson is correct. Just been contacted by her family from Oklahoma.