Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Postcard

There was a death notice for Florence in the Telegraph of Wednesday 18 November 1931 which said that she was the wife of Colin Gosling of Pipworth Farm, Eckington.

I think that they were in Eckington already in the 1911 census, with their daughters Miriam who was doing dairy work on the farm and Phyllis who was at school.

Incidentally, going back to Avis Gosling, I wonder if her parents just liked the name "Avis" or if they consciously decided to name her using the Latin word for "bird"? We'll never know.

Not found a birth for a Stanley Gosling so now I am thinking idiotically I know but how about this:-

What if Stanley was born a Fieldsend and as he is much older then Avis is the reason he is not on a census with her and could he in fact be sending the card to her as he boarded the ship back to England to let her know he was on his was back. He just put Mrs Gosling by mistake when he should have put Mrs Stanley.

It is clear the Dora Ann became Gosling. She is on the 1939 register under that name and she died in 1948 under that name. Also her daughter Kateie married as Gosling in 1920 and named her father as WILLIAM Gosling.
Dora Ann was already a domestic servant to this family in 1891 and she had her first illegitimate daughter in 1893, 5 years before William's wife elizabeth died.
Colin Gosling died in Chesterfield in 1952.
It looks pretty certain that Dore Ann was the "sister"
Dave

Hi All, With regard to Dora Ann`s children, there was a son, born between Alice and Kate, called Walter, who did in infancy. I have yet to find a marriage between Dora Ann Helliwell and William Gosling. This is something that I will have to investigate further.

Hi Again, Charles William Stanley emigrated to Canada in 1912, his father John having died in 1906. Avis followed Charles a year later in 1913. On the 1901 census, John, Avis and Charles are living in Bradfield with William Gosling, who is listed as John`s father - in - law, so I doubt that John and Avis went out to Canada and came back, leaving Charles behind in Canada.