Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Postcard

Hi

John Thomas Stanley, husband of Avis died in 1906. I haven't found a another marriage for Avis after 1906.

My suggestion about the postcard is just an idea, but the ship that an Avis Stanley sails on is called the Victorian and that is the link for me.

Its something for Cathie to think about.

Sue

Not found a birth for a Stanley Gosling so now I am thinking idiotically I know but how about this:-

What if Stanley was born a Fieldsend and as he is much older then Avis is the reason he is not on a census with her and could he in fact be sending the card to her as he boarded the ship back to England to let her know he was on his was back. He just put Mrs Gosling by mistake when he should have put Mrs Stanley.

Sue must be correct. There was no Stanley.
I suggest that the writer was Avis Stanley nee Gosling and that the recipient, Mrs Gosling, was her sister in law Florence, who married Luke Gosling, brother of Avis. She did not have a sister and only one of her two brothers (Luke) married.
Dave

HI All,
Thanks for your replies. The postcard begins Dear Sister and I had read the names Avis and Stanley as the names of two separate people, not the name of one person, which would be Avis Stanley. As she travelled to join her son in Canada, the Mrs Gosling to whom it is addressed would be her sister in law, Florence. Thanks for making me look again.

Hi Dave et al,
Your suggestions are more than likely to be correct, Dave.

However, I did find on the 1881 census, AVIS had a brother JOHN GOSLING who was married to Mary Ann Burkinshaw in 1875.
They had a number of children, a couple in Bradfield most of the others were born at Barnsley Union.
In 1911 they were still living in Barnsley and Mary Ann Gosling died in 1941 at Barnsley aged 82.
In 1871 census there is also another brother to Avis called William and recorded age 19 at that time. Have not followed him up for a marriage.

SUMMARY: Since the postcard was addressed to Holdworth, Bradfield, the sister in law in Barnsley is not in the picture.
The above FYI only.

HAPPY HUNTING:sleuth_or_spy:

Hi Wendy,

Don't know if this will help any but......

Go to our Parish Registers and enter Bradfield in the area column and then to the address column enter Holdworth. I have not been following closely the thread but my suggestion may prove what you are trying to prove.

Elaine in a very soggy Ottawa.

Instant Messenger: Skype

Hi Elaine,
Ditto for being soggy but sunny now.

Thanks for the info, did it your way and one more child (Elizabeth) showed up for parents Sarah & William that I did not have because it was just listed with William's name.

HAPPY HUNTING:sleuth_or_spy:

What we need to try and find out though is Did Avis and John Stanley and son go just after they married and Avis and John then came back leaving the sun there ie was he in the military? and could it be from this trip that the card was sent?

or did Mrs Gosling work in Bradfield even though she lived in Barnsley? Where was the Barnsley Union as Penistone (for example) is not far from Bradfield.

Wendy, thanks for the info on John and William Gosling, the 2 older brothers I missed..
I did make at least one other mistake. Avis brother Luke never married. It was Colin that married Florence (Earnshaw).
However Colin and Florence were in Derbyshire in 1901. so perhaps Florence was not the Mrs Gosling in Holdworth in 1913. (for the same reason it was not Johns wife in Barnsley
William Gosling, Avis older brother, a farmer definitely was in Holdworth in 1911, and he later died there. However he was widowed in 1898 but by 1901 he seemed to have a live in single lady (cook), Dora Ann Helliwell with 2 children 8 yrs (Alice Helliwell) and 9 months (Katie Helliwell). Katie was born illegitimate according to GRO index in 1900. William and Dora Ann and Katie were still together in Holdworth in 1911.
I now suggest that most likely Dora Ann was the Mrs Gosling who was the sister (in law) recipient of the card in 1913. Unless of course Colin and Florence moved back to Holdworth. I cannot find them anywhere in 1911.
I think that winds that one up. Thanks again Wendy.
Dave

There was a death notice for Florence in the Telegraph of Wednesday 18 November 1931 which said that she was the wife of Colin Gosling of Pipworth Farm, Eckington.

I think that they were in Eckington already in the 1911 census, with their daughters Miriam who was doing dairy work on the farm and Phyllis who was at school.

Incidentally, going back to Avis Gosling, I wonder if her parents just liked the name "Avis" or if they consciously decided to name her using the Latin word for "bird"? We'll never know.

It is clear the Dora Ann became Gosling. She is on the 1939 register under that name and she died in 1948 under that name. Also her daughter Kateie married as Gosling in 1920 and named her father as WILLIAM Gosling.
Dora Ann was already a domestic servant to this family in 1891 and she had her first illegitimate daughter in 1893, 5 years before William's wife elizabeth died.
Colin Gosling died in Chesterfield in 1952.
It looks pretty certain that Dore Ann was the "sister"
Dave

Hi All, With regard to Dora Ann`s children, there was a son, born between Alice and Kate, called Walter, who did in infancy. I have yet to find a marriage between Dora Ann Helliwell and William Gosling. This is something that I will have to investigate further.

Hi Again, Charles William Stanley emigrated to Canada in 1912, his father John having died in 1906. Avis followed Charles a year later in 1913. On the 1901 census, John, Avis and Charles are living in Bradfield with William Gosling, who is listed as John`s father - in - law, so I doubt that John and Avis went out to Canada and came back, leaving Charles behind in Canada.