Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Charles Smith b 5.2.1892

3 days after thats why I thought it might be our Charles. I wonder if we can find that Charles that Sue found in 1901.

Re: Charles Smith b 5.2.1892

Sarah,
There is a lot of circumstantial evidence for Sue's find being correct. In addition to what Sue has already indicated, I have explored the two witnesses at the marriage of Charles to Emily Winifred in 1919
They were Cyril Funston and Maggie Grove.
They were in fact a couple because they married in 1922 in Ecclesall Bierlow and they had a child in Sheffield, see baptisms to the left. CYRIL was a grocer's assistant.
Cyril, grocers assistant, was living with his parents in Retford in 1911.
MAGGIE is more interesting. She was with her parents in Sheffield in 1911, and her father was a CABINET CASE maker. That is a big coincidence.
Also, in the 1911 census in Worksop, CHARLES SON OF Charles and Susannah, was living less than 2 miles from Emily Winifred.
The big stumbling block is the declared birth date for the correct Charles, 5 2 1892.
The Charles Sue found was baptised 8 2 1892, as John identified. He was birth registered in Worksop, mmn Tuxford, in q1 1891, and a marriage of Susannah Tuxford to Charles Smith labourer on 5TH April 1891 fits perfectly.
Susannah, a servant, was on the 1891 census a few days before her marriage.
I believe it may be worth purchasing the birth cert of Their son Charles, their only child, registered q1 1892.
The remaining problem is that he was registered on page 24 of the register. This calculates on average to 15th January. He could not have been registered then if he was not born till 5th Feb.
I am beginning to wonder if his parents simply forgot his correct birthday and told him it was Feb 5TH and he believed that for the rest of his life.
The 1921 census should give his place of birth, but meantime I think it may be worth a punt on the pdf cert as above. Maybe it will for some weird reason show birth 5th Feb.
Even if it does not, the circumstantial evidence is very persuasive.
Dave

Ps Susannah Tuxford had an illegitimate son Frederick in Lincolnshire 3 years before her marriage. Frederick is with Charles sr and Susannah and Charles Jr in 1901, where he is called Smith