Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Willie Platt Brown (William Platts??) birth

I am searching for a birth record for my 2 x Great Grandfather about 1860. On the 1861 census his parents William Brown (1834 to 1937) was a Tailor and Ann nee Platts (1829-1896) lived at Clarence Street, Eccleshill Bierlow.

Willie married Ada Ellen Bland 8 Mar 1882 in Sheffield. I have not found a 1891 census, but 2 children were born in Huddersfield 1884 and 1888 a son was born in Halifax 1891 They are on the 1901 Census living at 40-42 West Street Sowerby Bridge.

1911 census says they had 9 childrenm, 4 living, 5 died.

Clarence Platts Brown 1882-1974 (my great grandfather) b. Sheffield d. Halifax
Miriam Brown 1884-1884 b. Sheffield
Emma Platts Brown 1885-1885 b. Hudds
Ada Ellen/Helen Brown 1888-1938 b. Hudds
Osmond Platts Brown 1891-1891 b. Halifax
Muriel Platts Brown 1893 1982 b. Halifax
Willie Platts Brown 1901-1986 b. Halifax

I have searched on GRO.GOV site, but unable find a birth record, any help/guidance would be appreciated. Thank you.

Lynne Bates

Re: Willie Platt Brown (William Platts??) birth

Lynne,
GROIndex 1860 q1 Willie Platts Sheffield illegitimate.
Dave

Thank you, I will send off for birth certificate, as I am getting death certificate at same time, much appreciated. Lynne

Am I missing something here, when did William Brown marry Ann Platts? Nothing showing up on the Free BMD site so no doubt again I shall have to go to the opticians!!!!!!!!

John, there is a note on a relatives tree as below, and I have searched found nothing. Maybe they never married as she was 9/10 years older than William.

Marriage
Oct 1853 • Sheffield, Yorkshire, England
No mrge record found but in 1853 shows an Ann Platts & a William Platts. Maybe? Name: Ann Platts & William Platts Registration Year: 1853 Reg Quarter: Oct-Nov-Dec Reg district: Sheffield Volume: 9c Page: 308

Ann Platts *2nd GGM

I think I am on the right track with William as I have his death certificate and he died here in Halifax, gives his profession Tailor (Journeyman) and was born in Sutton on Trent. He lived with his son Willie Platts Brown and Ada Ellen in Sowerby Bridge.

Another family puzzle to resolve? Thank you Lynne