Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Henry Ibbotson

Just wanted to end this one on a positive note because we did finally find Henry's parents,and two of his brothers.
It looked impossible because it looked likely that Henry was not baptised, backed up by his many children and grandchildren showing many unusual baptism traits. Missing baptisms, block baptisms and very late baptisms.
We ran out of conventional sources. Fortunately Cathie had an heirloom of a piece of artwork, the Riddle, done by a William Ibbotson and dated 1817. From burial records it was possible to identify him as Henry's older brother, a filesmith who is in the Apprentices and Freemen list, along with another brother George, both of whom were apprenticed to their father Thomas. Then it all fell into place. Thomas was married to Christiana Nut and none of their children were baptised. Henry named one of his children Thomas and another Christiana to further tie him in.
The icing on the cake was finding William's wedding cert. He was literate and his signature was beautiful, the best handwriting on the register, showing his artistic bent.
No surprise that there are several public trees with the wrong ancestors.
It would not have been possible without that heirloom.
Brick wall breached. Case closed.
Dave

Elaine

Did your Timothy Ibbotson (Sarah Booth) have a son Reuben who married Maria Pashley?

Hi David,

Dont tell me we have finally connected.LOL.

Reuben is my 3xg/uncle.

Elaine in Ottawa.

Instant Messenger: Skype

Elaine

Possibly yes??

Reuben & Maria had a son Thomas Pashley Ibbotson who had a daughter Charlotte she married Thomas Wood and had a son George Wood who married Annie Worrall Ibbotson who was the daughter of Joseph Ibbotson & Angelina Worrall, Joseph is the son of my Joseph Ibbotson & Matilda Hobson. My family tree maker relationship calculater does show a link although distant. What do you think!!!

Hi there,

Yes definitely.

I can follow through to George Wood. I no longer have my tree on Tribalpages
but it is on FMP.

I can send you PDF Files if you are interested.

George Wood is a 3rd cousin twice removed in my tree.
I will let you know what I need to complete your line CUZ.

Elaine in Ottawa.

Instant Messenger: Skype

Cathie, thanks.
So just to confirm I have it right. When you said that your mother said the riddle may have been done by the grandfather of her paternal grandfather that would be Joseph Ibbotson born 1827. Alternatively she said it could have been great uncle, which I assume means a brother of Joseph. Both of those must be out by a generation because the riddle was done in 1817 by a William Ibbotson who must have been born at the very latest about 1806.
At the very top of the riddle is the large word QUEEN. Can you read the two words immediately below that please?
It looks something like ????ance Co???ion
Alternatively can you take a close up of that area and send to me please?
Dave

Have I missed something on this thread or is the riddle on another thread?

Hi John

No you havent missed anything. The riddle hasnt been 'published' on this forum. Its a picture of the original that Cathie has and shes emailed it directly to those who requested to take a look.

Denise

Thanks Denise, I thought I might have had to go to specsavers!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi Dave,
Have emailed you a picture as requested but the words below Queen are not really clear.
Cathie