Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Hancock Marriage

Hi Sarah
I have found a burial at the parish church (cathedral) for Sarah Hancock, wife of Joseph Hancock, Edge Tool Maker, of Union Lane. Sarah was buried 30 August 1829 aged 34, which gives a birth year of 1795, a bit later than you suggest.

However there is also a burial at St James' Norton on February 8th 1829 for a Sarah Hancock of Sheffield, aged 40, so born around 1789. No further details are given.

No luck as yet with any marriage.

Steve

Hi Sarah, There is a birth on this site that matches. Hancock, Elizabeth (of Sheffield, born 1825-02-18).
Baptised March 4, 1825, by E Goodwin at Sheffield Parish Church, Church Street, Sheffield.
Parents name(s) are Sarah & Joseph (Scissorsmith).

The original of that baptism of Elizabeth Hancock is on FMP. Our record has 2 transcription Errors. Joseph was a Snuffer Maker, not a scissor Smith, and the baptism was on 6th March not 4TH March.
Joseph, snuffer maker and Sarah had several other children, all in our baptisms, starting in 1815. So the marriage should presumably be around 1814.
Dave

I think we need to find Joseph on the 1841 census. Nothing showing up on FMP using Yorkshire marriages to Sarah so I have a feeling it might have taken place in Derbyshire. Don't forger Norton was in Derbyshire then and so was Gleadless.

Correction, the baptism in Sheffield of their firstborn, george, in 1815 is on FMP but not on here.
There is a marriage of Joseph Hancock to Sarah Hayes in Rothwell in 1817. Is it possible they had George out of wedlock and went to Sarah's home parish to marry?
Dave

Hi,

The daughter Elizabeth went on to marry Henry Howard and was my direct ancestor.

Joseph does seem to have started out as a snuffer maker (same trade as his father William) but later becoming an edge tool maker.
He died at 47 Carlisle Street, Brightside in 1860 and was buried at St Thomas.
The second wife was a widow, Ann Shimeld (nee Nelson) and he had two daughters by her, Emma (born and died 1832) and Harriet (1834, married Samuel Horrabin)

Children of his first marriage seem to be:
George (born and died 1815)
Mary Ann (1816, married Matthew Nelson)
Charles (1818, not sure what happened to him)
Joseph (1820-1823)
Sarah (1822, at the family home in 1841 but missing in 1851.)
Elizabeth (1825-1884)
Peter (born and died 1827)

I was also unable to find the marriage of Joseph and Sarah.
The silversmith family was a different family I think, they ust happened to have the same names.

Heths

Correction: not silversmith, that should read that the grocer family were a different couple.

Thanks everyone, and Heather, of course (rellie) - very helpful information.

Hi Heather, Tried to send you email but unable. I have Joseph Hancock's parents as Joseph Hancock and Mary Swan. You said his father was William? Have I followed a wrong parent here? I have a baptism in Sheffield for Joseph and parents as Joseph and Mary?

Hi Sarah,

The baptism I found was 25/12/1792 at Sheffield parish church, parents William and Mary.
What year was the one with parents Joseph and Mary?
I might be on the wrong track, but the one with parents William and Mary seemed to fit because the records for Joseph’s children seemed to show he was a snuffer maker until 1823, which made some sort of sense what with William being a snuffer maker and dying in December 1822. That could have prompted a career change.

Likely marriage in 1799 William Hancock to Mary Brownell.
Died aged 80, snuffer maker of Hollis Croft. Burial 29/12/1822.
Possible death for Mary 13/5/1832, widow aged 74 of Gibraltar Street.
I forgot to make a note of which church the burials were at though.

If I have it right the children were:
William (1779, became a fork maker and died 1814 aged 36)
Ann (1781-1783)
George (1785 -1793)
Thomas (1788 - 1789)
Charlotte (1790. Possibly married Matthew Stephen in 1815, with witness Joseph Hancock. )
Joseph (1792-1860)
Charles (1795-1796)
James (1798. Might have become a saw and scythe maker in the Wicker?? Possibly married Elizabeth Dickinson in 1816 with witness Matthew Stevenson.)

Not sure if Matthew Stephen and Matthew Stevenson are really one and the same person?

Heths

Heather in Holland
Hi Sarah,

The baptism I found was 25/12/1792 at Sheffield parish church, parents William and Mary.
What year was the one with parents Joseph and Mary?
I might be on the wrong track, but the one with parents William and Mary seemed to fit because the records for Joseph’s children seemed to show he was a snuffer maker until 1823, which made some sort of sense what with William being a snuffer maker and dying in December 1822. That could have prompted a career change.

Likely marriage in 1799 William Hancock to Mary Brownell.
Died aged 80, snuffer maker of Hollis Croft. Burial 29/12/1822.
Possible death for Mary 13/5/1832, widow aged 74 of Gibraltar Street.
I forgot to make a note of which church the burials were at though.

If I have it right the children were:
William (1779, became a fork maker and died 1814 aged 36)
Ann (1781-1783)
George (1785 -1793)
Thomas (1788 - 1789)
Charlotte (1790. Possibly married Matthew Stephen in 1815, with witness Joseph Hancock. )
Joseph (1792-1860)
Charles (1795-1796)
James (1798. Might have become a saw and scythe maker in the Wicker?? Possibly married Elizabeth Dickinson in 1816 with witness Matthew Stevenson.)

Not sure if Matthew Stephen and Matthew Stevenson are really one and the same person?

Heths

NameJoseph HancockGenderMaleBaptism Date25/10/1795Baptism PlaceCathedral Saint Peter,Sheffield,York,EnglandFatherJoseph HancockMotherMaryFHL Film Number919419

This is what I found. But looking at his burial record in 1860 - saying he was 67. So maybe I am wrong by 2 years? As this would put him born around 1793